12- fret vs 14-fret concerts

Wow, the bridge placement on that 12 fret Taylor looks strange to my eye. But the pic shows well how instrument design changes due to 12 or 14 fret spec.

Wow, the bridge placement on that 12 fret Taylor looks strange to my eye. But the pic shows well how instrument design changes due to 12 or 14 fret spec.
I believe the Martin method keeps the bridge up closer to the soundhole than the Taylor method.

I have examples of both :cool:

Last edited:
and it looks like the Koaloha KCM-00 has 13 frets to the body.

Yup, and their tenor has 15 frets to the body. A few years back, during a tour of their factory, I asked why they make these literally odd choices. The answer I got was that it was all about the sound.

Yup, and their tenor has 15 frets to the body. A few years back, during a tour of their factory, I asked why they make these literally odd choices. The answer I got was that it was all about the sound.

My 2000 model has 12 frets to body - does anyone know when they made the switch?

I personally prefer 14 Frets to the body. I tried a beautiful custom Martin Concert with 12 Frets and I found it cramped going up the neck. Also the it was a flat fretboard, which didn’t help me. But this is very subjective.

So , which current production concerts are 12 to the body ?

Kiwaya KTC-1 , Martin C1k , Gretsch G9110

If someone, like me, is more of a strummer, and not playing up high, is there better sound to be had with a 12-fret concert?

I'm not sure about better sound, but joining at the 12th fret makes for easier strumming.

I'm a strummer on the uke too; in fact, I can't really remember when I last played any melody on it. The uke is awesome for strumming and singing; IMHO nothing can touch it.

I prefer the longer scale, 14 or 15 frets. This is just because it's easier to obtain good intonation than with the shorter scale 12 fret necks.

The scale is the same, the question is about how far the fretboard extends into the body, and where the bridge is placed.
I actually have 3 concert scale ukuleles with two different neck lengths. The shorter neck one has worse intonation.

I too would like have a 12 fret to the body concert ukulele. They are hard to find.
Seems this 14 fret to the body was copied from an acoustic steel string guitar, perhaps from greedy newcomers appreciating more frets fad. Well uke is a plastic string instrument same as a classical guitar.

I find the octave of the string much easier when it is at the body, instead 2 frets off too, just my opinion ;)
And the guitar traditionally featured a 12-fret construction until banjo players invaded the guitar world and insisted builders accommodate them.

I actually have 3 concert scale ukuleles with two different neck lengths. The shorter neck one has worse intonation.
This is just a mix-up of terms. If the neck itself is longer, than it has a different scale length. But scale length doesn’t necessarily have to deal with the number of frets or where the makers decide to join the neck to the body. The scale length is measured from bridge to nut so if two ukes have the same scale length, there’s still flex when it comes to the spot where it meets the body, number of frets, and the possible effect on tone.

The concert SIZE of an ukulele, though, is more of a guiding statement than anything and usually refers to the body. So a soprano and a super soprano have different scale lengths but relatively similar body sizes.

This is just a mix-up of terms. If the neck itself is longer, than it has a different scale length. But scale length doesn’t necessarily have to deal with the number of frets or where the makers decide to join the neck to the body. The scale length is measured from bridge to nut so if two ukes have the same scale length, there’s still flex when it comes to the spot where it meets the body, number of frets, and the possible effect on tone.

The concert SIZE of an ukulele, though, is more of a guiding statement than anything and usually refers to the body. So a soprano and a super soprano have different scale lengths but relatively similar body sizes.
I disagree. I think that the sizes are mainly defined by their scale length, but body size and shape is secondary. So instead of long neck soprano, I would see it more as a small body concert. Body size has multiple dimensions, some are longer some wider, with some vintage uke bodies looking much slimmer than many modern shapes that appear curvy in comparison. But yes neck length is independent of scale. Old ukes had the fretboard terminate at the body with 12 frets or even less. Then Martin introduced design where fretboard extended over the top and then you can add on frets and length down to the soundhole or even over the soundhole. But as the frets are getting very closely spaced in that area there is a limit to how much is practical.

That’s why I said body size is a rough guide. Also, I never saw an ukulele sold as a small body concert but I’ve seen “super soprano,” used my sellers.

But it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other in the end. Ultimately, I just didn’t want scale length to be confused for something else by anyone.

Many modern concerts seem to have 14 frets to the body. But I have seen some with only 12 frets to the body, which results in the bridge being further down towards the bottom. As far as K-brands, Kamaka seems to use 12, Kanilea and Koolau use 14, and it looks like the Koaloha KCM-00 has 13 frets to the body. The Martin C1K has 12. I've seen talk of builders wanting to place the bridge in "the sweet spot", and not sure how the 12 fret vs 14 fret thing affects that.

If someone, like me, is more of a strummer, and not playing up high, is there better sound to be had with a 12-fret concert?
Keep it simple. Your question is the ultimate one. The less travel for the strings the truer tone.

That’s why I said body size is a rough guide. Also, I never saw an ukulele sold as a small body concert but I’ve seen “super soprano,” used my sellers.

But it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other in the end. Ultimately, I just didn’t want scale length to be confused for something else by anyone.

I agree. I think the ukulele world has settled on calling it based on body size.

I disagree. I think that the sizes are mainly defined by their scale length, but body size and shape is secondary. So instead of long neck soprano, I would see it more as a small body concert.
I think that's how the guitar world see things. But it is certainly not how the ukulele world works; just go to any uke shop and take a look. @LukuleleStrings has it right.

Top Bottom