Pono UL4-30

bunnyf

Reaction score
I’ve had this new-to-me Pono TG for a few weeks and just want to say what a lovely instrument it is. I play it whenever I don’t want the hassle of bringing a big regular guitar to jams but want more volume and sustain than I would get from my ukes. Nicely done Pono!

Yes, I love mine as well (I was lucky to get the prototype back when they first made this model). To me, it's the perfect size, big enough to be loud, but not as big and heavy as a full-size guitar, and easy to play like a baritone uke. Best of all worlds…! ;)

I had the UL4-40 Macassar Ebony. It made me miss the extra two strings of a guitar. I was introduced to a luthier in my area who specialized in ergonomic parlor guitars. I play sitting down all the time so we configured one up that would suit my needs. That came out really well.

I had been playing lead for a Community Players group. The director always wanted to amp. me up for the leads and riffs I do. On the way home, I thought why not make a large bodied baritone, like a tenor guitar, except with nylon strings. I picked it up about a month ago. 22.8" scale 1 3/8ths" wide neck. So it's considered a jumbo baritone rather than a tenor guitar.

It all started with the Pono UL4. Great little instruments that give a great sound.

Photos of my Parlor guitar, Jumbo Bari and Pono UL4

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Pono_UL4-40-2.jpg
    Pono_UL4-40-2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Pono_UL4-40-1.jpg
    Pono_UL4-40-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
I had the UL4-40 Macassar Ebony. It made me miss the extra two strings of a guitar. I was introduced to a luthier in my area who specialized in ergonomic parlor guitars. I play sitting down all the time so we configured one up that would suit my needs. That came out really well.

I had been playing lead for a Community Players group. The director always wanted to amp. me up for the leads and riffs I do. On the way home, I thought why not make a large bodied baritone, like a tenor guitar, except with nylon strings. I picked it up about a month ago. 22.8" scale 1 3/8ths" wide neck. So it's considered a jumbo baritone rather than a tenor guitar.

It all started with the Pono UL4. Great little instruments that give a great sound.

Photos of my Parlor guitar, Jumbo Bari and Pono UL4

Patrick, I do miss the bass strings a bit, but then I’ll just play my guitar for a while. A parlor guitar might be a nice compromise. But really, I find that I like the simplicity of 4strings sometimes and find it more relaxing to play and easier on my slightly arthritic fretting hand.

Patrick, I do miss the bass strings a bit, but then I’ll just play my guitar for a while. A parlor guitar might be a nice compromise. But really, I find that I like the simplicity of 4strings sometimes and find it more relaxing to play and easier on my slightly arthritic fretting hand.

Congratulations again on a wonderful instrument, I am glad to hear you are still enjoying it. I flip flop all over the place when it comes to what I feel like playing. Some days it's tenor ukes, then steel string acoustic guitars, then sopranos, then baritones. I was thinking of selling my Blueridge tenor guitar, I don't play it anymore because of my love for six strings. Then I pulled it out of the case for the first time in months and remembered why I kept it. Easy to play very comfortable and sounds great.

I might be a bit schizophenic with my "music moods" but that keeps it fun and fresh.

Continue to enjoy that Pono, they make great instruments......all the different types.

Top Bottom