Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

Hi, John! Veered off the idea of "Wallander" ... did occur to me to attempt the theme song, but I can't find any chords anywhere. Gone a bit "off piste" here, but I seem not to be the only one who has gone the Scandi-American route. Ann-Margret was Swedish/American and recorded a fair few songs, including this one.

I thought I was going to be completely lost this week until I saw that the Raveonettes were eligible. FYI, if anyone is looking for an easy song, they also covered "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."

My old school mate, Michelle Haunold, has a record label called Gearhead Records. One day a Swedish band, struggling to land a US record deal, called her up. She signed them immediately.

the Raveonettes
they also have a wonderfully dreamy christmas song...

ok, i was working on a cover of something, but took a little break because there is a key change and i am rubbish at them and need to practice for about ten years to even start to get it to work - anyway blah in the meantime i got waylaid with an idea for a homemade song...

"scandi noir"

Melissa is probably the worlds biggest ABBA fan in the world, so I will save that until she can play one with me. She is however sawing logs while I am up and being foolish. Woefully under-supervised again.

Think I’m caught up with the playlist so far. Am excited to see what gems you will bring me, in addition to what you’ve already brung :music:

Some Scandi-Noir. Is it an aspect of his personality he has buried or is it actually his romantic rival? Dark humour either way.
Tallest man on Earth from Sweden.Cartoon is from 1931.

Is the Playlist actually THERE, John? When I click on your link, I only get your intro. vid. (This could, of course, just be me being clueless.)
No Val, I think it’s me being clueless....not you :D. There is a playlist on my YouTube page, so your songs are all going on there...I obviously haven’t set up the link on the forum properly. Leave it with me .....

Edit: Right I think it’s working now , fingers X’d .....

Last edited:
A Swedish Waltz. This was written by Swedish Guitarist, Roger Tallroth for his niece's baptism. Played on alto recorder and soprano flea with shruti box drone to fill the sound out a bit.

I would love to take advantage of the theme this week to do a lot of danish songs, but unfortunately I go skiing tomorrow and the rest of the week - poor me ;-)

So all I had the time to almost learn is this short song from 1940.

Had an interesting and amusing chat with my boss today (who is the same age as me) about ABBA, and about how uncool it would have been to admit that you secretly liked them back in the 70s. Thankfully we can all happily confess to it now - fabulous music that hasn’t really dated at all.
Here’s one of my (many) ABBA faves:

This is my favorite Abba song, and the first one I ever remember hearing. I never had their records, but I used to wait and hope for this song to come on the radio. Hadn't heard it in a looooooong time. This was my first take, which is obvious in a few spots, but I forged thru the slop and kept it. There's an "Easter egg" at the end for those that last till then.

Another one from the Raveonettes. I think this is the first song of theirs I ever heard, but I don't remember why. I toyed with this song a few times before, but never used it. I always thought it wouldn't be very interesting if it was just me and a uke, so I did a lot of multi-tracking and electronic geewhizzery on this one.

I doubt I'll be able to figure out how to play any of this before the week's out, but...

After Henry Kaiser and David Lindley turned me on to Madagascar music with their "A World Out of Time" CDs in the early '90s, they went to Norway and made a pair of "The Sweet Sunny North" albums of Norwegian roots music. Then the NorthSide label released a series of cheap "Nordic Roots" albums with various Scandinavian musicians (the CDs were just a few dollars each, labelled as "cheaper than food"). Some of the folks used traditional instruments like nyckelharpas, some incorporated things like didgeridoos. A lot of it sounded as if people were playing Celtic music using the scales of Middle Eastern music. My favorite of the bands was the Norwegian big band Chateau Neuf Spelemannslag.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think this is about as good as the key change is gonna get (i.e. not very good at all! :uhoh:) but here it is anyway, "je ne sais quoi" by hera björk, which was the icelandic entry for :bowdown: eurovision :rock: in 2010. i thought this song was FABULOUS, and i really wanted it to win. unfortunately i never manage to pick who's gonna win, and she didn't :( .............it's still fabulous, though!

Top Bottom