Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

Sadly this piece of solid gold wasn’t from Scandinavia, but from the Netherlands :biglaugh:

Anyway,
I am confident you will bring me a lot of awesome non Eurovision music too.

Here's one from Iceland. One of the best bands I've seen live

The Swede with the non traditional Swedish name.Jose Gonzalez.Born in Gothenburg to parents who immigrated from Argentina.The footage here is from Darwin.A most unScandinavian place.But it fits well with the kinda post-apocalyptic themes in the lyrics.Some underground oil storage tunnels from WW2 feature.
Very good theme John.

Last edited:
Flaming ukuleles from hell

Melodienfest is Sweden's biggest music event of the year. It's where they choose their entry for the Eurovision song contest. Things don't come any more Scandi than this :)

Season 361. Submission 1. “Joe Hill” (Lyrics by Alfred Hayes, music by Earl Robinson, 1938)

This song was famously performed by Joan Baez at Woodstock. She has recorded it and continues to perform it in concert and public appearances. Bruce Springsteen has also performed it in concert.

Thank you for hosting, John, and your terrific theme! I’m going to quote here from Wikipedia to reveal Joe Hill’s Scandi link. Joe Hill was a songwriter and cartoonist and most notably a Swedish-American labor activist. The circumstances which led to his execution have long been both the subject of conjecture and a rallying cry. His final wish was reflected in the saying: “Don’t mourn – organize.”

Joe Hill (Gävle, Sweden, October 7, 1879 – Salt Lake City, Utah, November 19, 1915), born Joel Emmanuel Hägglund and also known as Joseph Hillström,[1] was a Swedish-American labor activist, songwriter, and member of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW, familiarly called the "Wobblies").[2] A native Swedish speaker, he learned English during the early 1900s, while working various jobs from New York to San Francisco.[3] Hill, an immigrant worker frequently facing unemployment and underemployment, became a popular songwriter and cartoonist for the union. His most famous songs include "The Preacher and the Slave" (in which he coined the phrase "pie in the sky"),[4] "The Tramp", "There is Power in a Union", "The Rebel Girl", and "Casey Jones—the Union Scab", which express the harsh and combative life of itinerant workers, and call for workers to organize their efforts to improve working conditions.[5]

In 1914, John G. Morrison, a Salt Lake City area grocer and former policeman, and his son were shot and killed by two men.[6] The same evening, Hill arrived at a doctor's office with a gunshot wound, and briefly mentioned a fight over a woman. He refused to explain further, even after he was accused of the grocery store murders on the basis of his injury. Hill was convicted of the murders in a controversial trial. Following an unsuccessful appeal, political debates, and international calls for clemency from high-profile figures and workers' organizations, Hill was executed in November 1915. After his death, he was memorialized by several folk songs. His life and death have inspired books and poetry.
The identity of the woman and the rival who supposedly caused Hill's injury, though frequently speculated upon, remained mostly conjecture for nearly a century. William M. Adler's 2011 biography of Hill reveals new information about his alibi, which was never introduced at his trial.[7] According to Adler, Hill and his friend and countryman, Otto Appelquist, were rivals for the attention of 20-year-old Hilda Erickson, a member of the family with whom the two men were lodging. In a recently discovered letter, Erickson confirmed her relationship with the two men and the rivalry between them. The letter indicates that when she first discovered Hill was injured, he explained to her that Appelquist had shot him, apparently out of jealousy.

Soprano uke, soprano banjolele used here.

Essentially a one-hit wonder from Sweden. BJ Thomas also recorded this song, but Blue Swede's ooga-chukka opening made it a genuine ear worm for us kids in the USA back when. And their arrangement was pretty darned catchy.

Scandanavian Folk Music is quite popular here in NE England and I have a number of (mostly) Swedish tunes in my repertoire so I'll be bringing tunes with uke accompaniment this week.

I will go for the low-hanging Swedish fruit called Abba.
This was the song which started their whole career. Originally written in Swedish, they decided to enter it in the Swedish heats for the 1973 Eurovision Song Contest. Neil Sedaka & Phil Cody helped them with the English lyrics, and although it only came third in the heats, both the Swedish & English versions were hits around Europe, and ABBA was born.
Dedicated to anyone who has picked up a phone to check that it is still connected.

Melodienfest is Sweden's biggest music event of the year. It's where they choose their entry for the Eurovision song contest. Things don't come any more Scandi than this :)

There is a cover of a famous STRING song by Finissh Comic group Kummeli
They do a translation of Every breath you take where they mis hear the lyrics
"Every bread you take, every movie you make, every staircase you make I be wrist watching you"
THe bassist says that it is only a rough draft but the lead guitarist insists that it is brilliant and you
should play it straight away

Never expected this theme in a million years, interesting one John. I'm hoping for Norwegian Wood from someone, I can neither sing nor play it.

Scandanavian Folk Music is quite popular here in NE England and I have a number of (mostly) Swedish tunes in my repertoire so I'll be bringing tunes with uke accompaniment this week.
Excellent. Looking forward to this Geoff. Is this popularity of Scandinavian folk music because those cheeky Norsemen invaded us all those centuries ago?

Last edited:
Excellent. Looking forward to this Geoff. Is this popularity of Scandinavian folk music because those cheeky Norsemen invaded us all those centuries ago?

There was a history program on TV recently, looking at the effect the Vikings had on York, and how the evidence of their time here is still around. The cameras went to a pub where a band was playing Viking Rock - very loud, very long hair, with a singer grunting/shouting in Norse. It gave the impression that it was the kind of thing we listen to here all the time. Thankfully, it's not.

[h=3][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]There are four main categories of Viking place names in England.[/FONT][/h]
  1. Place names ending in -by, such as Selby or Whitby. These -by endings are generally places where the Vikings settled first. In Yorkshire there are 210 -by place names. The -by has passed into English as 'by-law' meaning the local law of the town or village.
  2. Place names ending in -thorpe, such as S****horpe. The -thorpe names are connected with secondary settlement, where the settlements were on the margins or on poor lands. There are 155 place names ending in -thorpe in Yorkshire.
  3. Place names as a mixture of Anglo-Saxon and Viking words. These are known as 'Grimston hybrids', because -ton is an Anglo-Saxon word meaning town or village, and Grim is a Viking name. The idea is that a Viking took over an Anglo-Saxon place and called it after himself. (Women's names are very rare in place names). There are 50 'Grimston hybrid' names in Yorkshire.
  4. Changes in pronunciation. The Anglo-Saxon place name Shipton was difficult for the Vikings to say, so it became Skipton.

Push the envelope, wild child! This is a song by Denmark's The Asteroids Galaxy Tour. In the U.S., they're probably best known for television advertizements -- I first heard them in an iTunes ad, and they appeared playing one of their songs in a Heineken commercial.

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour playing it: Push the Envelope

I know literally next to nothing about this music, and I hate to research, so this may be my only submission of the week, one more at most probably, but I can at least say I did participate by attempting a quick take on an Abba song, and did it on the sopranino.

Top Bottom