Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

This song was recorded directly in Scandinavia, on the top of one of the Khibiny mountains in Russian Lapland.
Hope this is enough reason to participate the current season :) despite the fact that this is not true Scandinavian song (“Cemetery”, Boris Grebenshchikov / Aquarium).
Few technical details – song was played on the plastic Kala Waterman conсert-size ukulele, in fleece gloves, with felt pick, in about -10 °C.

This song was recorded directly in Scandinavia, on the top of one of the Khibiny mountains in Russian Lapland... song was played on the plastic Kala Waterman conсert-size ukulele, in fleece gloves, with felt pick, in about -10 °C.

Now THAT is dedication! Respect! :)

Fortunately, I was such a square kid in the 70s that I didn't know it wasn't cool like like Abba. So I had, I think it was, their first "greatest hits" cassette. I don't have it anymore. I wore it out. I got some CDs later. This song has some tricky rhythms. I did this earlier in the week and kept thinking maybe I'd try doing the harmony over again, but I didn't.

Tarja Turunen, from Finland, original lead singer of Nightwish. It's probably hard to tell from the kind of songs I usually do, but I'm a big fan of symphonic/progressive metal and some doom metal. I practiced this song last night, and after I got home today I just tried it without much more practice, except for singing it some in the shower to make sure I hadn't forgotten it. I had to do this one standing up.

Here is one that I presume that most of you guys have never heard before (apart from maybe UkingViking). Danish psychedelic rock band The Savage Rose's hit 'Wild Child' from the 1973 album of the same name. Please check the original out, it is great and the band is still going strong back in Denmark.

Ps. Bear with me, but the song is really long... so a special price for whoever is still listening after more than 5 min.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooo posting after mep1 :( he makes my attempts at electric uke-ing look and sound sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well, it's just how the seasons' cookie crumbles!

"hard rock hallelujah" by finnish band lordi, they won eurovision in 2006 with this

first go with my new :uhoh: epiphone hummingbird uke, i think there is a trick to recording with electro-acoustics............................... i'll let you know if i ever discover it!!!!!

Last edited:
TCK and I are from the same generation: Generation Mind-Blown-By-The-Incredible-A-ha-Video-For-"Take On Me"

I wish I'd made time to practice more this week to get the keyboard lead, but we can't always have it all, ukulele-version-wise :p

Well guys n gals, we are pretty much in the home straight now. There are currently 56 wonderful Scandi related vids on the playlist and it has been such a pleasure as usual, with, who knows, more to come. Keep it Scandi and I will check in later :D

Dansevise

My last one for this season. Need to hurry over to Season 362 and start listening. UkingViking suggested that I did this one, and I was also considering it myself already as it is such an iconic danish song, so here is Denmark's Eurovision winner from 1963. Jørgen and Grethe Ingemann's 'Dansevise'. Maybe the only time a Jazzy tune has won the Eurovision. This was too difficult to figure out, so this time I have kept it nice and short.

I think you should see the original as well just for the sake of it. Featuring a lovely Gibson ES-175 arch top guitar.

https://youtu.be/AYyhJvRE3mQ

If anyone would like to know what the song is about, then here is a (quite poor) translation as taken from the internet:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/dansevise-dance-ballad.html

Dance Ballad

A ray of sunshine in a puddle
A little kiss on the cheek from a wind
And the rush, humming
That life's beginning
It's a web in your mind

A whistle of silver from a treetop
A faint sound of a cat grabbing
A ripple in the stream
A whisper in the hedge
That says, that it isn't night anymore

The meadow is wet with dew
Lady Dawn goes to bed
Day gets up playfully
And crossing the bridge of the sun

And the two of us?
What about the two of us?
Yes, what about the two of us, you and me?
I'm dancing and dancing and stopping
And sensing only you
Why ever did you run away?

Come back, come back
Come back, you my beloved friend
Come back, come back
Wherever you wish, are we dancing to

Come, let us dance
Everything can happen
Come, let us dance
Let us dance, let us laugh

My last one for this season. Need to hurry over to Season 362 and start listening. UkingViking suggested that I did this one, and I was also considering it myself already as it is such an iconic danish song, so here is Denmark's Eurovision winner from 1963. Jørgen and Grethe Ingemann's 'Dansevise'. Maybe the only time a Jazzy tune has won the Eurovision. This was too difficult to figure out, so this time I have kept it nice and short.

I think you should see the original as well just for the sake of it. Featuring a lovely Gibson ES-175 arch top guitar.

https://youtu.be/AYyhJvRE3mQ

If anyone would like to know what the song is about, then here is a (quite poor) translation as taken from the internet:

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/dansevise-dance-ballad.html

Dance Ballad

A ray of sunshine in a puddle
A little kiss on the cheek from a wind
And the rush, humming
That life's beginning
It's a web in your mind

A whistle of silver from a treetop
A faint sound of a cat grabbing
A ripple in the stream
A whisper in the hedge
That says, that it isn't night anymore

The meadow is wet with dew
Lady Dawn goes to bed
Day gets up playfully
And crossing the bridge of the sun

And the two of us?
What about the two of us?
Yes, what about the two of us, you and me?
I'm dancing and dancing and stopping
And sensing only you
Why ever did you run away?

Come back, come back
Come back, you my beloved friend
Come back, come back
Wherever you wish, are we dancing to

Come, let us dance
Everything can happen
Come, let us dance
Let us dance, let us laugh

Lovely tune Mads, just about to check out your version....but if I may don my pedant’s hat for a second, I don’t think that is an ES 175. The 175 came with the sharp, Florentine cutaway. That has the curved, Venetian cutaway. I think it might be a Gibson Byrdland, which came with both types of cutaway :cool:

Lovely tune Mads, just about to check out your version....but if I may don my pedantÂ’s hat for a second, I donÂ’t think that is an ES 175. The 175 came with the sharp, Florentine cutaway. That has the curved, Venetian cutaway. I think it might be a Gibson Byrdland, which came with both types of cutaway :cool:

Ha ha you are absolutely right. Well spotted.

Right, that’s it folks. Season 361 is now officially over. Put your pens away, tidy your desks and hand in your exam papers. I will see you all later after playtime (that’s recess I think to some of you) to give feedback.....hopefully before the week is out. :)

Greetings

Fun week (but my bad.....didn't get to most vids). Will try after lunch hour later on. Thanks for hosting

:)

great season, i loved its eurovision-songs potential, and the chance to celebrate the wonders of scandi noir. also to hear so many proper completely-new-to-me scandi songs. thank you for a super week, and wonderful hosting

Sorry I couldn't make it - I had such high hopes too, but sick dogs have been coming up to me with worried looks on their faces, that's how sick I've been. Have nonetheless high hopes for Mad mep1's Season. There's probably one or two songs about dying out there. :)

Sorry folks, this isn’t THE wrap, but in case anyone was wondering, I should have it done before the weeks out. TTFN,
John

It’s a Wrap!!

Ps! Ukenation, as soon as I’d finished my wrap I recalled it was Immigrant Song, Led Zep you did :cool:

Top Bottom