Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

Well, 24 great songs on the playlist so far, wonderful stuff. A real variety too. Really enjoyed Uke4ia’s Chateau Neuf Spelemannslag video, funny but when I was watching Geoff’s very pretty Swedish tune, I saw a link too, and watched, a great Swedish folk trio where one of the chaps was playing a Nyckelharpa, never seen one before....every day is a school day :D. Enjoyed the Varttina vid too Rob, now get learning and let’s see your version! :music:

Well, 24 great songs on the playlist so far, wonderful stuff. A real variety too. Really enjoyed Uke4ia’s Chateau Neuf Spelemannslag video, funny but when I was watching Geoff’s very pretty Swedish tune, I saw a link too, and watched, a great Swedish folk trio where one of the chaps was playing a Nyckelharpa, never seen one before....every day is a school day :D. Enjoyed the Varttina vid too Rob, now get learning and let’s see your version! :music:

Värttinä are very well known in Finland for their speed singing.
It is a strange mixture of Sami Joik and North American Indian chants,
with a pinch of Kalevala for good measure.

Songs are delivered with blistering tongue twisting vocals and mere mortals would have
an apoplectic fit if they tried to reproduce the same sounds. It is rooted in Shamanism.

Last edited:
Mäntsälä is a town in Finland that everyone passes through to get to somewhere else.
Is Mäntsälä boring... it certainly is. Who can like Mäntsälä, I don't understand.

Low Hanging Fruit time. I didn’t need to practice this one much....I took it to our uke group a while back so I had the chord sheet handy. Anyway, don’t go wasting your emulsion, lay all your gloss on me....

Ahoy everybody.
Here is a theme that I should be able to participate in, at least a little bit.
Firstly, if you want to play Icelandic songs then I recommend these two sites http://textar.midja.is/textar/ and http://www.guitarparty.com/en/ - both chalk-full of Icelandic songs with chords.
Anyway
Here is the first of my two submissions today. First is a song called 'Álfadansinn' (The dance of the elves). This is a song that we sing around New Year's eve and on the 'Þrettándi' (a bonfire night, 13 days after xmas; wikipedia says "Thirteen days after the 24th Icelanders say goodbye to the Yule Lads and other mystical creatures such as elves and trolls. There are bonfires held throughout the country while the elves, Yule Lads, and Icelanders dance together before saying goodbye until the next Christmas."
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/VbvFV2uZNLI

Ahoy again.
Here is my second submission of the day.
This song is called 'Stál og hnífur' or 'Steel and knife' and is an acoustic folk song written in the early 80s by Icelands biggest punk-rocker.
The title refers to the steel used to sharpen the knives that labourers used to gut and work fish.
Here is the song

Traditional Finnish Waltz.
I think I may have misspelled it in the video. I can't find the umlauts in my compooter either !!

Today while I was working, I remembered a Scandinavian singer who I didn't think anyone else would think of. When I got home, I did some research to try and find a song she was known to have sung that I thought I might be able to sing.

a bbc vid so i dunno if anyone outside the UK will be able to view - but i thought our host might like to see it, if he hasn't before, it's a recent performance of let it swing, by bobbysocks, they still sound and indeed look superly duperly fantastic!

This is another song I like a lot, from the Finnish band Gjallarhorn. It's called Suvetar (Goddess of Spring), and uses instruments like didgeridoo and kalimba.

a bbc vid so i dunno if anyone outside the UK will be able to view - but i thought our host might like to see it, if he hasn't before, it's a recent performance of let it swing, by bobbysocks, they still sound and indeed look superly duperly fantastic!

Oh YEAAAAAH BABY! A bit o’ class....and my oh my! That purple jumpsuit!! Didn’t realise Linda Nolan was in Bobbysocks though ;)

Remember folks, Brownie points for for anyone who covers this....

( Sits back and waits expectantly...) :cool:

This one sounded much better when I was practising it earlier in the day than when I came to record it this evening. I’ve no idea why! :confused:

When this was released by A-ha in 1985 I thought it was the perfect pop song - I still do (their version not mine!).

another homemade song......................... with another new toy NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo why do i keep saying that, it's quite obviously a perfectly serious and necessary and much-needed instrument <cough!> watch, watch everyone, while all my christmas and birthday money pours at great speed into the pockets of the owners of music shops!

"scandi on my telly"

I am sure this is already here, but as stated in the video, another soon to be viral kitchen session. I decided to cook Chinese tonight, which is intense, so we needed a break.
One take wonder.

Well it’s an icy morning up here in West Yorkshire, but all this fantastic Scandi music is keeping me warm. We are roughly at the halfway stage now so plenty time to get Scandi-ing if you haven’t already Scandi-d. Try it, it’s therapeutic. And plenty of time to put up your second, third, fourth etc song. NO SONG LIMIT remember. There are 35 great songs and tunes on the playlist thus far. I am pretty sure everyone is on there, but if I have missed anyone out, please let me know and I will remedy it.

Top Bottom