Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score

Season 361 - I WANT SCANDI!

I was inspired in part to do this theme as a result of being glued to all four Seasons of the Swedish/Danish crime drama, The Bridge. Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö, one of THE best TV cops ever!

Let me make it clear right from the start, that for the purposes of THIS season, I would like songs from Iceland and Finland as well as Sweden, Norway and Denmark. I will not get into a discussion about whether these are Scandinavian countries. According to some sources they are.....and to others they aren’t. For the duration of Season 361, they are.

And so this week I would like you to bring me great Scandinavian pop or rock tunes, of course by all the really well known artists like A-Ha, ABBA, The Cardigans, Ace of Base, Björk/The Sugacubes, Europe, etc. If you can cover a well known artist in a totally new or unexpected way, even better.

Bring me some of the artists that are perhaps less well known outside of Scandinavia, like Kings Of Convenience Or Ane Brun.

Bring me artists I’ve never heard of before, like.....well obviously I don’t know them yet.

Singing in the original language where applicable, is great, but not obligatory, and Brownie points, though not prizes necessarily, will be awarded to anyone who covers La Det Swinge ( Go on, indulge me)

Bring me songs that reference Scandinavia/Scandinavian countries, or Scandinavian artists in the title or lyrics. Want a clue? Well there’s a Dr Feelgood one for starters. I’m sure you can think of others.

Bring me your originals, you’ve plenty of scope to write songs about, or inspired by, Scandinavia. Again, if you want to sing your original in any of the Scandinavian languages, or a regional dialect, go for it. Subtitles would be great if you get time.,

It doesn’t even have to be pop. Something classical, folk or even a bit avant garde, so long as it meets the criteria above in it Scandinavian-ishness, is fine by me.

I’m sure you can all think of one or two Scandi artists off the top of your heads, but if you’re struggling, simply google “Pop artists from *(insert name of Scandinavian country) “ and let Wikipedia do the leg work. Here’s a few to get you started...

ABBA (kind of goes without saying eh?)
A-Ha!
The Cardigans
The Hives
Europe
Ace of Base
Lukas Graham
Neneh Cherry (She’s from Sweden!)
Roxette
Alphabet
The Ravonettes
Bobbysocks

Usual Rules Apply!
Season starts 00.00 Sunday Hawaiian time and ends 23.59 Hawaiian time the following Sunday.

Songs must be newly recorded for, and state somewhere that it is for, Season 361

Ukulele must be clearly audible and prominent, but other instruments are allowed n the mix.

You can do a simple straight to camera take of your song, or multitrack, or collab, whatever works for you.

NO SONG LIMIT.

There will be prizes which may or may not reflect the Scandinavian theme, and which will be awarded in some as yet undecided fashion.

I will keep a playlist and comment on all your videos.

I’ve never been to Scandinavia but it’s on my bucket list, I’d like Seasonistas to take me there musically.

Don’t forget Andy’s Season 360 , still has a day to go

And above all,
HA DET SÅ KUL!
(Have fun!)

I WANT SCANDI!

Last edited:
For the purposes of this Season, is Finland considered a Scandinavian country?

Ooh ... I LOVE a bit of "Scandi-Noir"!!! Can I bring an abbreviated version of "Wallander"?

I've been waiting for this season for ages and it has come in a week when I'm incredibly busy. I'd like to add the following to the list:

Royksopp
Robyn
Little Dragon
First Aid Kit
Nightwish
Bjork
Asgeir

Estonia?

Is Estonia considered a Scandinavian country? They certainly think they are. They speak a language close to Finnish and the general look of the place and the people is far more Scandinavian than Slav / Russian like Latvia and Lithuania.

Some more danish artists:

Aqua (90s pop)
Me & My (90s pop)
Laid Back (80s synth/pop)
Junior senior (00s pop/disco)
Bent Fabric (Bent Fabricious Bjerre, wrote the scores to a lot of scandinavian movies and tv series)

Last edited:
Is Estonia considered a Scandinavian country? They certainly think they are. They speak a language close to Finnish and the general look of the place and the people is far more Scandinavian than Slav / Russian like Latvia and Lithuania.
As long as we’re in the general ballpark of Scandi music I’m pretty flexible Berni. If you know a great Estonian song I’ll be glad to hear it. Right folks I’m off to my pit for the night, catch up with you all tomorrow :music:

I know of Moomin troll Chelsea if that’s what you mean. Not heard of Marimekko before so I look forward to enlightenment :)

Marimekko is famous for their print designs which are big and bold for women.
and classic and stripy for men. I have a couple of their JokaPoika Shirts

Uhh, this is going to be great... I will certainly find some songs from my native country Denmark! Just need to find one UkingViking doesn't get to first ;-)

If you are looking for a Finnish artist to cover try
J J Karjalainen
or another artist that is well respected is
Hector
In the 60's many Finns moved to Sweden looking for work and perhaps his most famous song is

Top Bottom