Thread: Care for a solid top / laminate body

Default Care for a solid top / laminate body

If a uke has a solid top only and laminate body - do you still need to keep a check on humidity / use a humidifier / keep it in a case?

I keep a humidifier in the case, even with my all laminate uke. The neck and fret board need humidity. I didn't humidify once and got sharp fret ends aka "fret sprout." With a solid top, I'd humidify if you live in a dry climate, or use forced air heat in winter.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Here's my single data point: I've had a solid top uke hanging on the wall for a couple years without issue. The humidity gauge next to it occasionally gets down to the low end of 20% in the winter. I'm in North Carolina (Raleigh area).
    Last edited by Falcan; 01-12-2019 at 05:10 PM.

I do. It takes so little effort and expense, why not?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

A solid wood top requires the exact same care as an all solid wood instrument. Even laminates, although a bit more resiliant, will suffer from dryness (sharp frets to begin with). Wooden instruments are actually similar to human beings: best for them is a relative humidity of about 40-55 percent.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

I have a solid top with laminated bod and an all solid. I have never had any problem, but I moniter the humidity in the winter. here. It normally stays from about 45 through 35 in my house in winter. When it goes below 40 I humidify. It is easy and doesnt take much effort. Better safe than sorry I feel

Thread Information