View Poll Results: Ears or No Ears (on your headstock)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guitar Style (Tuner knobs stick out of the side)

10 15.38%
  • Planatery or Friction Tuners

25 38.46%
  • Slotted Headstock

12 18.46%
  • Don't care

18 27.69%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ears or No Ears? (On your headstock)

Default Ears or No Ears? (On your headstock)

Purely an aesthetic question.

Just curious to see how many out there like seeing the tuner knobs stick out of the sides of the headstock (Guitar style) or hidden behind the headstock (Planetary tuners, friction tuners). Or again, if you like looks of the tuner knobs installed on a slotted headstocks? Who just doesn't care.

I don't mind that the tuner knobs stick out the sides if the knobs were made of solid wood or another material not just the silver metal ones. If I had the silver metals knobs then I'd prefer them hidden behind the headstock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.4 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (29.8 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (33.5 KB, 21 views)
    Last edited by b.r.us546; 01-12-2019 at 09:34 PM.

I don't care!

As long as they do their job, I'm not in the least bit worried about the looks.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I like ears...just changed out the "stealth and friction" tuners on my new to me Kamaka White Label Baritone to "eared and geared" tuners.
    Ko'Aloha KTM-00 Tenor
    Kamaka White Label Baritone
    Martin 1T IZ Tenor

I like planetary tuners on a solid headstock. I do love a slotted head stock if available, just don't like the appearance of rabbit ears
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Anything but friction tuners... friction pegs are always a PIA for me. Cheap tuning machines are less hassle for me even than the nice friction tuners. And quality tuning machines are a pleasure to use.

As far as where they stick out? As long as they aren't poking my eye I'm not picky.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I like planetary tuners on a solid headstock. I do love a slotted head stock if available, just don't like the appearance of rabbit ears
    ^ this... but not limited to planetary. Good friction tuners are fine with me on sopranos and concerts.
    My least favorite setup is "ears" but they don't prevent me from buying a uke.
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    Anything but friction tuners... friction pegs are always a PIA for me. Cheap tuning machines are less hassle for me even than the nice friction tuners. And quality tuning machines are a pleasure to use.
    Opinions vary. But I can say that the sealed mechanical tuners that came on my Kanilea Islander MST-4 are far more problematic for me than even the cheapest plastic friction tuners, now 13+ years old, that came on my Kolohe concert. And the friction tuners on my Kiwaya are my favorite tuners in my ukulele horde... which includes a soprano with Gotoh UPTs.
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

I like ‘em stickin’ out the back best for looks, but I have a heck of a time usin’ that kind.

What are Planetary Tuners vs. Frictions? The kind on my banjos (out the back and twist clockwise then back and
    always back over the mid point), are an abomination, but I like the way they look.

I can use “regular,” uke ears, but they look dumb on a banjo. I like uke ones that are on the sides but point backwards like on a slotted peghead too.

Ahhh, well . . . Nothin’ is ever perfect, I guess.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Opinions vary. But I can say that the sealed mechanical tuners that came on my Kanilea Islander MST-4 are far more problematic for me than even the cheapest plastic friction tuners, now 13+ years old, that came on my Kolohe concert. And the friction tuners on my Kiwaya are my favorite tuners in my ukulele horde... which includes a soprano with Gotoh UPTs.
    Perhaps I have been lucky not to get really bad tuning machines... I have used a few that were grindy and one uke even had an open gear machine that froze up, but once I got it moving again it worked well enough.

doesnt matter to me one way or the other. They both look fine to me

Thread Information