View Poll Results: Ears or No Ears (on your headstock)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guitar Style (Tuner knobs stick out of the side)

10 15.38%
  • Planatery or Friction Tuners

25 38.46%
  • Slotted Headstock

12 18.46%
  • Don't care

18 27.69%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ears or No Ears? (On your headstock)

I voted "don't care"
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

My favorite is slotted, but I also like the ones that stick out to the side, or planetary tuners for a specific look. Depends a bit on the entire look/design of an instrument. The only thing I try to avoid is friction tuners - they simply don't give me the precision I need.

I prefer with ears, mostly because I've just had one too many experiences where behind the head tuning pegs just didn't stick, or were just really low quality. I'm sure that there are good quality behind the head pegs, but because of my experiences, I'm not a big fan of them.
    Don't forget that Uke'n do it!
    Check out my Ukulele YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvG...7AmdP6rUzbWrzg
    Road work ahead? Well I sure hope it does.

I just bought a used Fluke here on the Marketplace, which Is my first experience with planetary tuners, I normally don't like them but the Fluke was a good deal and I wanted a beater uke. I always prefer geared tuners, sticking out or back, these planetary are a PIA, as soon as I got the uke I had to tighten the knob screws so they would not slip, which made the tuners more difficult to get a precise turn. I'm debating if I'll replace them with geared planetary tuners.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I just bought a used Fluke here on the Marketplace, which Is my first experience with planetary tuners, I normally don't like them but the Fluke was a good deal and I wanted a beater uke. I always prefer geared tuners, sticking out or back, these planetary are a PIA, as soon as I got the uke I had to tighten the knob screws so they would not slip, which made the tuners more difficult to get a precise turn. I'm debating if I'll replace them with geared planetary tuners.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video
    I think you are talking about friction tuners?
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

Geared tuners look just fine to me. I hate friction pegs. Planetary tuners are fine, but I don't see the need for the expense over geared. And I would prefer NOT to have a slotted headstock as they seem to be a silly affectation that probably results in a more fragile instrument.

But then, I only play tenors. I will admit that on sopranos the large geared tuners do look a bit out of place sometimes.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Prefer Gotoh UPT’s on a traditional headstock and just love slotted headstocks. But I don’t let geared tuners deter me from purchasing a Ukulele that I like.
    The Dude Abides.

Because I stick to concert sized ukes, I prefer planetary tuners. I don't mind the stickie out the side ones, if they're good ones, and the buttons aren't huge.
    Friction pegs? Ugh.
    Slotted headstock? Not on a concert uke, no thanks.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

My taste may change a little in the future, but so far I prefer Guitar style, and Planetary geared.
    Ukuleles:
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T
    Soon - LoPrinzi Custom Concert
    Ohana SK-25S

Yeah, since my wife has eyes on the back of her heard, I prefer my ears on the back of mine (at least on sopranos and concerts).
    John

Thread Information