Opening a can of worms? Factors for proper action height

cyber3d

Reaction score
So, what are the determining factors for the proper action height measurement? Is it strictly personal preference? or is it fret height? or what? The KLOS is one of the few ukes that I can barre anywhere and play as loud as possible without any rattles or unwanted vibrations.

I'll also post this on the general topics forum.

Personal preference and what and how you play are key.

• Too low will buzz.
  • Lower is easier and faster to fret.
  • Higher may have more volume and be easier to bend, etc. without buzzing.
  • Slides like higher action to avoid knocking the frets.
  • Too high will have intonation problems.

I expect most generic setups (not un-setups) aim for medium-low. Players who want higher are likely to know that and specifically ask.

Fret height doesn't affect the measurement since one measures from the top of the frets.

Personal preference and what and how you play are key.

• Too low will buzz.
  • Lower is easier and faster to fret.
  • Higher may have more volume and be easier to bend, etc. without buzzing.
  • Slides like higher action to avoid knocking the frets.
  • Too high will have intonation problems.

I expect most generic setups (not un-setups) aim for medium-low. Players who want higher are likely to know that and specifically ask.

Fret height doesn't affect the measurement since one measures from the top of the frets.

This is a very good answer. To get a very low action everything has to be near perfect. Frets need to be leveled, crowned and polished. Neck needs to be straight with no warping or skewing, a tiny bit of relief is good. Most ukes from HMS with a full set up come in at an action height of 2.5 - 2.65 mm. I have a few customs that are 2.25mm, play like a dream and you can strum them as hard as you want with no buzzing.

Cyber3d.....hold on to that Klos, if it plays like that it is a real keeper.

Top Bottom