Upright Bass Players

ampeep

Reaction score
Anyone else impressed with upright bass players? I'm a guitar player that alternates between electric bass in a few ukulele groups. (masquerading as a bassist)

Whenever I see what upright bass players come up with, i'm totally blown away. Consider them 'real' bass players.

Pls check out this video (need headphones) - looks effortless.

https://youtu.be/7quylMgFpRk

I love the Ubass for the upright sound. I'd like to have an upright, but they're expensive and take up a LOT of space, really like the sound, though. Get yourself a Ubass! :shaka:

Yeah, nothing like a great acoustic bass!

I love the sound of the upright bass when plucked in jazz, and when bowed in classical music.

A few times over the years I thought about buying one and learning to play, but the cost and the size and the problems of transporting it always put me off.

Now with the proliferation of many companies making variants of the U-Bass, and some nice ones even as low as $130 from Rondo Music (when on sale), I may have another look, especially since they are no bigger than a baritone uke.

I love the sound of the upright bass when plucked in jazz, and when bowed in classical music.

A few times over the years I thought about buying one and learning to play, but the cost and the size and the problems of transporting it always put me off.

Now with the proliferation of many companies making variants of the U-Bass, and some nice ones even as low as $130 from Rondo Music (when on sale), I may have another look, especially since they are no bigger than a baritone uke.

A good upright (laminated) will cost you about $2k. Add $200 for a bow and 25 lessons every other week at $75 ($1875) and you're in business. Come on, you know you want to.

After about 40 years as a woodwind player I took up the double bass about 6 years ago and have loved every minute of it (well, not so much the minutes spent loading the thing into the car). Ubass sounds pretty good but still needs an amp.

Top Bottom