Slower Songs that you enjoy playing

hollymichele

Reaction score
I like to play slow songs (doesn't matter if finger style or strumming, doesn't matter the genre). Wondering if you all can recommend some of your favorite slow songs...maybe less popular ones that don't quickly show up in searches. Thanks. :)

I like to play slow songs (doesn't matter if finger style or strumming, doesn't matter the genre). Wondering if you all can recommend some of your favorite slow songs...maybe less popular ones that don't quickly show up in searches. Thanks. :)

Don't Think Twice, Bob Dylan.

Don't know if you saw or liked the show "Nashville" but you can pull a lot of the chords off online. Just listen on YouTube if you're not familiar with it and play. A couple of the ballads are slow enough that I can fingerpick while doing chord changes. I'm new, so this is still really hard for me.
Try sites like E-Chord. You can get the chords and if you pay the $2/mo, you can transpose the songs into what's a comfortable singing range for you as well. I can't remember if it's E-Chords or another, but one will even let you do searches based on genres and bpm.

Georgia on my mind

One of the first I learned but i still like to uplay isAmazing Grace

“I’ll Remember You” by Kui Lee. Sara Maisel used it in a workshop for playing up the neck and it’s really lovely. Mr. Lee passed at a young age and wrote this shortly before, for his wife.

Faraway Places (with strange-sounding names)

You were only Foolin' (while I was falling in love)

Tammy (! :) )

All I have to do is Dream (Everly Bros)

All of Me

All the Things You Arr (are mine)

Allegheny Moon

And I Love You So (Perry Como)

I Count My Blessings (instead of sheep)

White Cliffs of Dover

As Time Goes By

Autumn Leaves

Because of You

Begin the Beguine

Besame Mucho

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Blue Moon

Moon River

Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis)

ETC :)

Can you tell I love slower songs as well?

keep uke'in', (there's so many more! :) )

E Ku'u Morning Dew and Dona Nobis Pacem. Both from Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele by Mark Kailana Nelson

Try "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell as performed by Dave Van Ronk. She's said that his version was the best cover of her song.

Last edited:
Some of the songs listed as slow here are still a bit stressfull for me, due to many chord changes. An example is Autumn Leaves. Perhaps it doesnt help that I tried to go chord melody on it, makes things more difficult.

A slow song with rather easy chord changes, though there are many of them, is "everybody's talking at me".
That D, Dmaj7, D7 and D6 progression is so easy to play.

Last edited:
i got same tastes as uncle Rod:)

Faraway Places (with strange-sounding names)

You were only Foolin' (while I was falling in love)

Tammy (! :) )

All I have to do is Dream (Everly Bros)

All of Me

All the Things You Arr (are mine)

Allegheny Moon

And I Love You So (Perry Como)

I Count My Blessings (instead of sheep)

White Cliffs of Dover

As Time Goes By

Autumn Leaves

Because of You

Begin the Beguine

Besame Mucho

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Blue Moon

Moon River

Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis)

ETC :)

Can you tell I love slower songs as well?

keep uke'in', (there's so many more! :) )

Green Grass by Tom Waits.

Joe Brown's version of "I'll See You In My Dreams" has become a favorite of mine, in part because I recently learned that it was popular in 1925, the year my Mom was born. And wow, has it stood the test of time! Joe closed out the Concert for George Harrison with that one several years ago. At the first refrain, all the other musicians stop playing and it's just Joe and his uke and voice, and it's a great example of how the simplicity of a uke and a voice can be so lovely and poignant. There's a nice clip of that online if you search "Joe Brown closes out the concert for George".

creep by radio head. can be super slow with some embellishments or slides to make it your own and slow or med pace works well.
G, B7, C, Cm

Top Bottom