Slower Songs that you enjoy playing

Oh yes, "September in the Rain" too. Look out for Annie Lennox's version on YouTube. It's divine.

I love this cover by Joshua Lee

That was great! Thanks for sharing.
I would also say this is not a low playing song, the singing might be but that is a pretty quick strum pattern.

Last edited:
Willie Nelson's "Valentine".

John Colter.

Two that I’ve been playing the past couple weeks.......Misty & Yesterday

I just learned Avalon by Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music. It’s slow, and I play it even slower. It’s an absolutely beautiful chord progression that needs no lyrics or melody to my ears, although the melody is lovely. F-C-Bb-C repeated twice (my version) then Ebadd9-Db-Csus4-C.

Here’s the song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2qGgYDf2Q

I take songs and play them slow. For instance, Why Don’t You Love Me Like You Used to Do, is actually kinda sad.

But my favorite actual slow songs right now are Cry Me a River and Stormy Weather.

Fanlight Fanny, Chinese Laundry Blues or the T.T. Races by George Formby are slow.

Cheers
Gary

Wild Mountain Thyme, Roseville Fair, Imagine, Let It Be, Greensleeves, Let It Be Me.

I really like these three:

"Jean", by Rod McKuen - it was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song from "The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie". The recording by Oliver was #1 for 4 weeks on the Adult Contemporary charts in 1969.

"I'm Easy" , by Keith Carradine. It won the 1975 Academy Award for Best Original Song from "Nashville".

The non-Iz version of "Over the Rainbow", by Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg - It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song for "The Wizard of Oz", and became Judy Garland's Theme Song.

I use all three when I gig.

Bill Mc said Louise. If that's the Paul Siebel song from his Woodsmoke & Oranges LP, I must agree. It's the first song my wife ever heard me sing circa 1980. She has said, "He won my heart with a song about a dead hooker."

I've found myself playing If I Had You a lot lately and Walkin' My Baby Back Home.
Some others are:
Sweet Sue
Old Rockin' Chair's Got Me
Blue Skies
Home

- "When shadows fall
And trees whisper, "Day is ending
My thoughts are ever wending
Home"

Last edited:
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Summertime
Fixing a Hole
Yesterday

Or Tennessee waltz, I am really enjoying learning this one as it is 3/4 time

Or Tennessee waltz, I am really enjoying learning this one as it is 3/4 time

I was just thinking of this one. Great tune.

A few others I like:

Your Song- Elton John
Count Your Blessings -Irving Berlin, (from White Christmas)
Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying- Gerry and the Pacemakers
Keep Me in Your Heart- Warren Zevon
No Hard Feelings-Avett Brothers
Will You Still Love me Tomorrow- Carole King
They're in Love, Where am I -The Weepies
Across the Universe, and Goodnight-The Beatles

As Tom Waits was mentioned, there are so many good ones- Ol' 55, You can never hold Back Spring, Time, Innocent When You Dream

More and more great songs keep popping into my head, but I'll stop here for now

Last edited:
Top Bottom