When did chunking become chucking?

It's a very similar technique to "clucking" in clawhammer banjo. One fingernail strikes the note on a downstroke and the others (or the palm) mute it immediately thereafter. Done over the 17th fret it makes a distinctive clucking sound. Lots of clawhammer banjos have no frets up there and a scoop carved in the fretboard to make it easier to cluck.
Calling it chucking or chunking is new to me ... I still think of it as clucking.

I actually use chuck instead of chunk. Chuck sounds like the noise it makes when you "chuck". Chunk always sounded weird to me.

If you chuck on the up strum, is it up chucking?:rolleyes:

I can’t take total credit for that one. It’s a running joke at one of my uke groups.

I think it sounds like a chunk like ‘bam!’ Stop that thang! Chuck is someone’s name. I just thought it might be an interesting topic, and it is. Think I’ll go upchuck now then on to feed my Shitzoo dog. Actually spelled Shih Tzu and pronounced nothing like what I said before.

Here’s an interesting take on the word ��
In Australian English the word chuck is often found in phrases where it means ‘to perform’, ‘to do’, or ‘to put on’— as in chuck a wobbly (a variant of the Standard English throw a wobbly). While this use of chuck is not exclusively Australian, there are a number of well-established forms that suggest its resonance in the national idiom. The earliest, dating from the 1940s, is chuck a willy (become angry; have a fit of annoyance or temper). Most other chuck expressions appear much later, from the 1970s on.

chuck a berko: display an outburst of anger, become angry. In Australian English berko means ‘mad, crazy, or angry’, and is an alteration of berserk. ‘Real narkie bastard. Ignore you for months, then chuck a berko over nothin’.’ (R. Sims, The Shadow Maker, 2007) There are a number of variant expressions with a similar meaning, including chuck a wobbly, chuck a willy, and chuck a mickey.

chuck a browneye: make the rude gesture of bending over and exposing one’s buttocks and anus. ‘I haven’t laughed so much since me and Rory gave browneyes to a busload of rubbernecks’. (Tracks, August 1978)

chuck a sickie: take a day’s sick leave from work (with the implication that the person is not really ill). One of the nation’s most familiar workplace idioms. ‘The pressure of letting down a mate is stronger than the lure of ‘chucking a sickie’, an innovative wages deal among New South Wales ferry deckhands has found.‘ (Courier-Mail, September 1999)

chuck a uey: do a U-turn. The shortening uey for ‘U-turn’ in Australian English is usually found in the expression chuck a uey or do a uey. The phrase usually refers to motor vehicles, but can be found in other contexts too: ‘Motorist Priya Wickremasena, 41, saw the 1.5m saltwater croc sitting in the middle of the road. “All of a sudden he chucked a U-ey, and then started chasing me”, he said.’ (Herald Sun, December 2011)

Love to hear more examples of phrases beginning with chuck a … that you may know or use.

"Chunk. The sound made when you stop the strings from vibrating immediadely after having been plucked."

I read that somewhere, so 'chunk' it is. :music:

(Chuck means to throw.)

Because I'm not english, I mainly base what term I use in that chuck sounds more percussive to me. The way I get the strongest chuck is by not only strumming with index finger down, but all 3 (leaving pinky out perhaps) and way I mute I'm not sure, might be combined with both palm of my hand and also thumb.

Chunk is like a pieace of meat ... soft. So if really chunking it is maybe when I strum up with my index finger and then mute. It sounds a while. Some downwards body tapping can also have that thing of not muting the strings percussively immediately. So that is chunk, in my opinion.

:)

So I kindly disagree with Keith above.

Last edited:
Lets have a poll to make it all official. I prefer thunking

When did closed become shuttered.

When did helpful hint become hack!

When did song sheet become chart!! I call it music BTW, I'm referring to a sheet with chords and words. It's music to me, it creates music...:shaka:

When did wheels become rims!!!

Language evolves, I guess...:confused:

Chucking a Donut :D

In parts of the US that would be "chucking a Brodie". Brodie being the last name of an old-time daredevil who was the first to jump off of the Brooklyn Bridge (or maybe it was some other high bridge).

In my household, it's "spinning donuts" and "chunking".

When did closed become shuttered.

When did helpful hint become hack!

When did song sheet become chart!! I call it music BTW, I'm referring to a sheet with chords and words. It's music to me, it creates music...:shaka:

When did wheels become rims!!!

Language evolves, I guess...:confused:

What color-way is your uke?

Top Bottom