Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Working On?

A ragtime piece, "Cheese and Crackers" by Homer Denney. Our band is working on a version of it. I read standard notation for ukulele at a snail's pace so it takes me a while to work out an arrangement. I hope I can finish it in this lifetime.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by tomthebaptist View Post
    Presently, I’m working on Bach’s Cello Concerto. I was wondering what some of you are working on.

Tom
    Sorry for being picky, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, but you probably mean cello "suite". And likely the Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1, since this appears to be the most popular Bach piece to play on the uke.

Personally, until last week I hadn't been into classical for awhile, but I just learned Cavatina (The Deer Hunter theme). It's beautiful, immediately recognizable, and loved as both a popular and classical piece. BTW, much easier on uke than guitar.

I'm currently working on solo ideas over a ii-V-I in Bb along with rootless triad chord voicings for it. Have been for awhile and will be doing it awhile longer. I have found it works better to just stick it out in one key til I get it sort of right and not just jump from key to key because it's boring to always play the same notes. It's fun to see what sort of ideas I can come up with. I do throw in the odd work on Autumn Leaves in G as well.

John

Default Working on

I was working on Sokolow's Ragtime book, but then I found a song "Spanish Guitar" for ukulele. I love it, but have only learned 6 bars. But I am learning and improving so much. It's a great song.

I recently bought James Hill's "Duets for One" and I'm really enjoying the arrangements. Currently obsessed with "Don't Get Around Much Anymore", it's an absolute hoot to play.

I've been trying to get on with that book but the arrangements are quite tough!!

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    I've been working on songs from Fred Sokolow's Ragtime Ukulele book. I love it! Just reached a comfortable point with a song called 'Dill Pickles' - time to start a new one.

Is it in a book?

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    I was working on Sokolow's Ragtime book, but then I found a song "Spanish Guitar" for ukulele. I love it, but have only learned 6 bars. But I am learning and improving so much. It's a great song.
    "Got a whole lot of nothing, and I watch it like a hawk." - Louis Prima, 'I'm Living in a Great Big Way'

Quote Originally Posted by TobyDog View Post
    Is it in a book?
    No. It is a single song. This is the link. https://rockclass101.com/spanish-ukulele/

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    No. It is a single song. This is the link. https://rockclass101.com/spanish-ukulele/
    That sounds like a fun one. Thanks for posting it.

I'm currently working on my attempt at a kind-of-like Jake version of In My Life and Here, There, and Everywhere. I'll never sound like Jake, but I'm having a wonderful time trying. :-)

I'd also like to get Chief Noda's version of Both Sides Now memorized. (Chief's version is essentially Randy Scruggs' guitar version, but for ukulele.)

I'd probably be better off if I focused on just one thing, but... nah.

Currently working on Kodachrome
    ģ
    for … err … last week's Seasons (yup. missed again!) as well as some James Hill chord melody stuff, going through an intro blues book, and general scales and speed/accuracy training. Also duplicating the same on guitar. Oh yeah, and some simple fiddle tunes on mandolin and ukulele. Seems like a lot more when I write it out, and it's only Tuesday!

Thread Information