Famous FS-1

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Saw one of these online recently. Unlike the usual Famous/Kiwaya Eco Series sopranos (Famous FS-1, FS-2 or Kiwaya KS-1, KS-5), this one had no fretboard extension, so it was more like a vintage Martin in that respect. Other differences from the current Eco Series were a soundhole rosette and black nut and saddle. I'm assuming that this must be an older model. The older ones also have nice dark rosewood fretboards, instead of the much lighter walnut boards on the recent ones. I love the Famous/Kiwaya Eco Series sopranos, but dislike the extra frets, where I'm always bumping into the extension. Just thought this was a bit different, and I'd like to try one of these.

FS-1 comparison.JPG

I recall the older ones in the darker wood and fretboard. Not sure if I saw one with a rosette. You can see that here

Mine, with the extended fretboard, is nice ... :)

Saw one of these online recently. Unlike the usual Famous/Kiwaya Eco Series sopranos (Famous FS-1, FS-2 or Kiwaya KS-1, KS-5), this one had no fretboard extension, so it was more like a vintage Martin in that respect. Other differences from the current Eco Series were a soundhole rosette and black nut and saddle. I'm assuming that this must be an older model. The older ones also have nice dark rosewood fretboards, instead of the much lighter walnut boards on the recent ones. I love the Famous/Kiwaya Eco Series sopranos, but dislike the extra frets, where I'm always bumping into the extension. Just thought this was a bit different, and I'd like to try one of these.

View attachment 114821

so you're the one that bought it :mad:
oh well... snooze and lose :(

;)

I saw that - like you though, I prefer the abbreviated fretboard extension or no extension at all.

Speaking of which - just this morning, a Kiwaya KTS-4 came to me in the mail

I've wanted one since last spring and I'm as happy as a kid on Christmas day that I finally have one ;)

I was just about ready to give up on ever finding a soprano to love.... this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

They really do make wonderful ukuleles.

Awesome! Nice match to your KTC-1, enjoy that one! :shaka: I'd be interested to know which is louder.

Speaking of which - just this morning, a Kiwaya KTS-4 came to me in the mail

I've wanted one since last spring and I'm as happy as a kid on Christmas day that I finally have one ;)

I was just about ready to give up on ever finding a soprano to love.... this thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

They really do make wonderful ukuleles.

Sweet! those are terrific. Enjoy!

The difference between old saddle and new saddle is not only the colour. New white saddle is compensated. I have this old Famous FS-1 with black saddle. Very nice ukulele.

Got this one in. It had the original black strings, which were pretty old, so I put on a set of Martin M600. Really like this one, the 12-fret design really suits me. Without that fretboard extension, it feels just like a vintage Martin. I get to strum in my favorite spot without hitting the extra fretboard. Even the friction tuners are decent. Black saddle is compensated. Volume is excellent, very loud. Tone is as good as a laminate can be IMO, overall a sweet soprano. Does it sound as good as my vintage Martin? Hell no! As mentioned in other reviews, the sound is loud & sweet, but less complex and rich than a vintage Martin, more one dimensional, but still a very pleasant sound and feel.

Was hoping for 37mm nut width, like a previous Famous I had, but this one is 36mm, still totally acceptable to me. With that nut width, and wide string spacing at the nut, it plays great for me. Like I said, it feels just like my vintage Martin, and the specs match those almost exactly, see pics & specs of sops I've owned below.

A couple of things substantially different than my vintage Martin are:
1) Body depth: these are much deeper, which probably accounts for the good volume
2) Headstock (measured from nut to top crown point) is 1/2" longer, allowing the string posts to be about 1/4" further up from the nut. This gives your hand more room when forming some chords near the nut.

Hope I'm not boring you all with this nitty gritty. At least I find it interesting. Uke-geek...guilty as charged.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Here it is next to my Martin Style 0
Famous & Martin.jpg

Soprano specs.JPG

Last edited:
It is interesting to be able to translate feel into meaningful data, or vice versa.

Is this a current stable of sopranos or merely ones that have passed through your hands over the years?

Top Bottom