Marvelous Mim

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Ukulele magazine has a nice article on Mim (Mim's Ukes) in the current issue. Just thought I'd post that, in case anyone is interested in finding a copy of it.

Many of us have bought ukuleles from Mim, (I have one - fantastic job on the set-up, and the entire experience was a good one), so maybe others would enjoy the article, too.

It's an excellent profile. Captures her really well.

Do you have a link to the article? I have one uke from her. She's a hoot to chat with. Not only does she love ukulele, but she's quite the animal activist. At the time I bought from her, she was fostering a mini-horse. The videos on her Facebook were adorable.

Terrific to work with. If she doesn't have something in stock, and she normally carries the line she get it quickly. Terrific setups. She'll adjust to suit. (I have a bit of arthritis in my fingers and she lowered the action to make barres a bit easier on the Pono and Cali tenors I bought from her.)

Quite often she has some blems that are pretty good deals.

Thanks for letting us know about the article. Can't wait to get the issue.

I bought a case off Mim. She accidentally sent the wrong one to me here in Australia, but absolutely insisted that she fix it up - which she did. What a gal!!!

Do you have a link to the article? I have one uke from her. She's a hoot to chat with. Not only does she love ukulele, but she's quite the animal activist. At the time I bought from her, she was fostering a mini-horse. The videos on her Facebook were adorable.

I have the physical magazine, and don't see the article on their website. But, the website for the magazine is: http://www.ukulelemag.com

I have a digital subscription and just started reading the latest issue, looking forward to the article. Mim recommended a Kala cedar top acacia koa that is my go to uke. I'm going to NAMM this year and will see her there.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I was super happy with the article! I had not written anything since i took a Newspaper class in high school.

Here is the setup article:
http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/w...e photos. I enjoyed the article. Thank you.

It is a good read. I am impressed by her photos. They are very good. I have been taking photos forever (starting with the darkroom in the garage in my teens) and would have been very satisfied with that set of pics (irrespective of being published). Kudos to both of you!

I've been a photographer for over 50 years, for the last 10 years as the staff photographer for the L.A. Lawyers Philharmonic/Big Band of Barristers/Legal Voices Chorus. Your daughter did an excellent job, congrats. Didn't catch you at NAMM.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I didn't realize Mim did workshops! If they are in Virginia I'll have to go to one, it is only about a 2 1/2 hour drive. That's great info for any uke newbie like me!

She does workshops at festivals all over. I know she'll be in Altoona, PA for Allegheny Ukulele Soiree in May. Often Ukefest VA in Richmond in November, Funky Frets in Boyertown, PA in October. She's a busy, well-traveled woman! Since you're in NC, you're actually not too far from her shop south of Roanoke.

Last edited:
Mim’s Shop is about 30 to 40 minutes from my son’s house. About 3 years ago while visiting my son I messaged Mim to see if she would be in her shop and drove down to see her. She is a gracious person and we spent a while talking about life. I wasn’t in the market for a uke at the time but I did buy some strings and accessories from her. If you are close pay her a visit, you won’t regret it. BTW, there is a nice winery close by with a restaurant that serves a pretty awesome lunch.

I bought a ukulele from Mim in 2017. Along with a great ukulele buying experience, I was treated to her story about a miniature pony she had just gotten as a rescue. She told me all about him. His shyness & fear of people, and how she was working to gain his trust. The ukulele was great, but her genuine caring spirit was what I'll always remember.

I just bought a case from her - easy, flawless transaction. I plan to buy a tenor in the next 2 months and it will be from her. In addition to all the kudos I hear about her setups, I like the idea of giving my business to a fellow animal lover.:)

I just bought a case from her - easy, flawless transaction. I plan to buy a tenor in the next 2 months and it will be from her. In addition to all the kudos I hear about her setups, I like the idea of giving my business to a fellow animal lover.:)

Definitely. This is as much about the people as the product. You want to support the nice people.

Top Bottom