Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone Banjo Ukulele

Default Baritone Banjo Ukulele

For the past few years I been wanting a baritone banjo ukulele but have found the few out there to be either to expensive or not really what I as looking for.

Basically what I wanted was a tenor banjo with a ukulele scale and width neck.

So, I decided to buy an inexpensive tenor banjo and then make a new neck for it.

The tenor banjo was a Recording King Dirty 30s which provided the rim, head, and all the hardware. It cost $140. The neck I built out of spanish cedar and granadilo and it cost about $100 after the additional purchase of nut, frets, tuners, and hanger bolts. So for less than $300.00 I now have a Baritone Ukulele that's like Ive been wanting.

Below are some pictures of the completed uke.

IMG_1103.jpgIMG_8025.jpgIMG_8503.jpgIMG_9005.jpg

that is a lovely thing Jon

Quote Originally Posted by BashfulPuppet View Post
    For the past few years I been wanting a baritone banjo ukulele but have found the few out there to be either to expensive or not really what I as looking for.

Basically what I wanted was a tenor banjo with a ukulele scale and width neck.

So, I decided to buy an inexpensive tenor banjo and then make a new neck for it.

The tenor banjo was a Recording King Dirty 30s which provided the rim, head, and all the hardware. It cost $140. The neck I built out of spanish cedar and granadilo and it cost about $100 after the additional purchase of nut, frets, tuners, and hanger bolts. So for less than $300.00 I now have a Baritone Ukulele that's like Ive been wanting.

Below are some pictures of the completed uke.

IMG_1103.jpgIMG_8025.jpgIMG_8503.jpgIMG_9005.jpg
    Nicely done.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dponeil@xtra.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

You do good work. I love the fret markers.

Thank you, John. I don’t mind saying that there was a lot of stress leading up to some parts of the neck build. I’d never built a neck before and cutting the scarf joint was a real knuckle biter for me.

The fret markers were a move to reduce the amount tools I needed to buy. Standard drill bits work fine if you’re drilling all the way through. I also thought it was clever to get the marker visible on both the side and the top. Not my idea but still clever.

I wish I’d designed the head stock to let be get the slots closer to the nut. It would have made it easier to make the ramps so that the strings wouldn’t touch them. Just an asthetic thing.
    Last edited by BashfulPuppet; 01-20-2019 at 11:42 AM.

It is a very pretty headstock Bashful.

It’s been several months since I built the Baritone Banjo Uke and I’m finally getting around to recording a sample of how it sounds. Here’s a short clawhammer arrangement of me playing “This Is My Father’s World.” https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e2O5xp9dhqA
    Last edited by BashfulPuppet; 09-13-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BashfulPuppet View Post

I wish I’d designed the head stock to let be get the slots closer to the nut. It would have made it easier to make the ramps so that the strings wouldn’t touch them. Just an asthetic thing.
    Jon,
    Congratulations!
    As they say, “Don't sweat the small stuff ! ”.
    Ganged tuners on short ukulele headstocks leave very little room for optimal approach angles. You've done some lovely work with this instrument.... and it sounds as good as it looks.

This is a very cool looking ukulele. Just makes me want to pick it up and play away.

Nice! I really like those side markers! You did a nice job with that neck!

Thread Information