Sunshine and Butterflies

mountain goat

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
so many musicians I have come across
describe the ukulele and players like this.
for myself, I write sad songs most often
and find they transfer well to the instrument.
does this forum perpetuate the myth?
the naysayers say yes.
please link any songs you think showcase the instrument
in a different way.

Goat, I have been impressed recently with Joe Brown's rendition of "I'll See You In My Dreams", with which he closed out the Concert for George Harrison back in 2002, I believe. I had not been familiar with that song previously, except for having heard very small snippets of it throughout the years, and I never realized, until I started to pay attention to the lyrics, that it's actually a very touching and poignant song, telling of how the singer copes with the loss of a loved one. The immediate context seems to be that his girl has left him for another, but one can also see how you might take comfort in the song when dealing with the death of someone dear. In either event, the concept of looking forward to twilight, when you'll soon "find repose" and hold that loved one once again, in your dreams, comes through. And it is indeed noteworthy how well the ukulele (generally regarded as such a happy instrument) pairs with this melancholy theme.

thank you Bill for your response.
I know the song well.
the loss of someone dear.
remembering them, their vision, to light your way forward
and in so doing, offer hope.
off to listen again now.

I do the same kind of mix I would do on piano or guitar. If you can make 'em laugh and make 'em cry, they're yours, or so it is said.

You don't have to look any further than Ukulele Underground for an example of a sad or poignant song that is a classic on the ukulele. The song is Aloha 'Oe by Queen Liliuokalani. It's a song about parting, but also written with the anticipation of meeting again. This version is with Aldrine Guerrero, Kahea Hamakua, and Randell Giminiz.

Two songs come to mind: first, as Bill said, "I'll See You In My Dreams", as performed by Joe Brown at The Concert For George, which I was extremely fortunate to attend. Joe's ukulele version brought many to tears, including myself. Secondly, Izzy's version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" an alltime , stunning, ukulele classic.
Great thread Mountain Goat!

Last edited:
You don't have to look any further than Ukulele Underground for an example of a sad or poignant song that is a classic on the ukulele. The song is Aloha 'Oe by Queen Liliuokalani. It's a song about parting, but also written with the anticipation of meeting again. This version is with Aldrine Guerrero, Kahea Hamakua, and Randell Giminiz.

Beautiful indeed, Jerome!

Top Bottom