Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp

Default Amp

I am interested in a good amp. I have two high end tenors, a Kamaka and a Kanilea. I have an old Gorilla amp but I've never been able to get a decent sound on my two ukes.
    Any suggestions? I would probably not want to spend more than $200. I live fairly close to a Guitar Center and also a Sam Ash.

Default That's a bit of a contradiction

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts56 View Post
    I am interested in a good amp. I have two high end tenors, a Kamaka and a Kanilea. I have an old Gorilla amp but I've never been able to get a decent sound on my two ukes.
    Any suggestions? I would probably not want to spend more than $200. I live fairly close to a Guitar Center and also a Sam Ash.
    That's a bit of a contradiction having a couple of $1000 ukuleles and wanting to use a $200 Amp, isn't it??? Choosing an Amp is first about accessing what size venue you are going to be playing in. Is it going to be in your front room or a 50,000 seat amphitheater? I just own a Roland AC-33 which is suitable for small venues only. It was designed with acoustic instruments in mind and works well for a ukulele but even it costs more than $200.

-- Gary

Best bet is to take one or both of your ukes to Guitar Center and try out some of the amps they have in the acoustic room. I'm not sure you will find anything under $200 but you will get a chance to hear them in person and see which one you like. If you find one you like you can look for a used model to save some money.

John

As Gary mentioned above, you need to decide what your goals for the amp are. In my case, I also only play small venues, but I need two channels for both vocals and ukulele. I have a Roland AC 60 and the smaller Roland Cube Street, which can function on battery power. I love them both, but the Cube Street will set you back around $300.
    Bradford

Give yourself a $300 budget and you'll have more choices.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

I will say the same thing I always say about amps, buy the best you can. No sense having great sounding tenors sound like crap because you have a crappy sounding amp. You can find the Fishman Loudbox Mini for $329.00 new , this is as good as it get for under $600, the Roland AC33 is excellent as well. Like Bill 1 said check for used to save money, ebay and reverb will have them at close to $200.00
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

What pickups are in the ukes to be amplified? are they active or passive?

When using a piezo pickup with amps made for an electric guitar will generally sound bad compared to specifically named/labeled "Acoustic" amps, because the acoustic amps have different circuitry inside than those made for electric guitars with magnetic pickups, instead of the piezo pickups in a nylon-type string instrument.
    Last edited by Joe King; 01-18-2019 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typos
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Kustom PA-50. Around a hundred bucks.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Kustom PA-50. Around a hundred bucks.
    Forgot about that one, good sounding unit.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

I use either a Marshall AS-50R (delightful acoustic stage)

Or..

If I want portability - the Roland AC-33 - an astoundingly good acoustic amp
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Thread Information