GraphTech Ukulele Tuners

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just came across this video and was wondering if anyone has seen these or even had a chance to try them out? Interesting looking, but I'm a little concerned about the durability, particularly since they don't seem to be made of metal.

They look to be plastic. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Some plastics can be just about as hard as steel. They shatter more easily than steel but that isn't a significant factor unless someone bangs on them with a hammer. Thanks for bringing these to attention. I will be watching to buy a set at first opportunity. I'm a sucker for gadgets.

There was a discussion here about these sometime back.

I just saw these also, and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with them.

Are they really plastic?

There's an ad for them in the latest issue of "Ukulele Magazine."

Thanks for link and video. I will try them. I have no objection to polymers is they work, are smooth and strong. I’m guessing these will show up on the Namm threats that will start showing up soon. Seems like a great idea and design. I use graph tech products on both guitar and ukulele. Seems like a brilliant idea

There is probably a weight savings also. That is a good thing and maybe a downside... really good for less weight hanging on headstock, but “maybe” not so good if the lower mass on the headstock reduces sustain. Probably not an issue for most.

John

Edit: LOL!!! I guess I should have watched the video first. It was late and didn’t to wake my wife.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat torn about this: I do appreciate being given a new choice at a competitive pricing, yet the technology is clearly "inspired" by Gotoh's UPT system, so I find it a bit bold of them to state in their advertisement video that this is "a totally new approach and design".

“Totally new approach” depends on how the gears actually work. I have no problem with chain. I like low profile. If they work good, I will have no problem with material is made of. I’m excited. Can’t wait to put set on my TT.

Since these are touted as upgrade tuners, I’d be interested to know easy a retrofit would be. They appear to have holes to attach the tuners to the back of the headstock. If the design is a universal retrofit, 5/16” to 25/64” hole size, it would definitely be a new design. If someone didn’t have drill/ream out the existing tuner holes it would make it a lot easier. There is no pic of the sleeve that would be needed to stabilize the tuner stem. $30 for an easy to install planetary would be pretty desirable.

John

On the other thread of the same subject, there's speculation that the $29.95 price is for a set, but I never saw anything that stated such, I'm sure the price is for each.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Ever try to buy one tuner? No one sells individual tuners, not even graph tech. I agree that the MSRP of $29.95 seems way too low, but if you take a good look at the tuners, they looks pretty cheap compared to other “geared” planetary tuners. I would guess a handful of molded plastic parts that fit into a housing that snaps together. There can’t be too much there at a weight of 5 grams.

John

Ever try to buy one tuner? No one sells individual tuners, not even graph tech. I agree that the MSRP of $29.95 seems way too low, but if you take a good look at the tuners, they looks pretty cheap compared to other “geared” planetary tuners. I would guess a handful of molded plastic parts that fit into a housing that snaps together. There can’t be too much there at a weight of 5 grams.

John

Actually it is fairly easy to buy a single planetary tuner. Not that I ever have, but they are available.

Top Bottom