Shima JS Wideneck Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Agree with all your points. Looks to be very nice Uke. Went to site after reading you review. Nice video of jake plating it. Great built and super travel Uke. I think it achieves what they set out to do for beginner bid like to play one. I will probably hold out for “future” long next concert or better yet a tenor. Thanks for review

Great review Baz!

I started reading this review thinking it was of a soprano ukulele - then I saw that it has a concert scale length. So it is not a soprano, it is a concert. When I read that it has a "tenor range" I gave up.

I repeat - if it has a concert scale length, then it is a concert ukulele.

John Colter.

Not entirely sure I agree that it's quite so simple. Naming conventions on scales of ukuleles differ widely from the standards, and long neck sopranos are not a new thing. Bruko made a ukulele that had 12 frets and was no bigger than a concert in overall length, but called it a tenor! (then again - Bruko are nothing if not idiosyncratic)

This is certainly a concert scale neck, but it's also a trad soprano sized body. Could also be a small bodied concert too I suppose.

Ultimately so long as buyers know what they are getting, I don't think it really matters all that greatly does it?

Last edited:
John,

It is supposed to be even more complex than that. It has a soprano body with a tenor neck, the neck supposedly modeled off of Jake’s Kamakas.

Not quite true - the neck profile and nut width is modelled on his tenor. Also has 18 frets which is more than you 'generally' would see on a concert, or at least those joined at the 12th. The scale length IS traditionally concert though.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem that complicated, basically a longneck or super soprano: soprano size body with concert scale neck. The "tenor range" thing just refers to it having 18 frets. Nut width and neck back profile are just appointments, and have no bearing on whether a uke is called soprano, concert or tenor.

Yes agreed John. It just is what it is I suppose. Works as a ukulele which is the main thing and I don't think there are any surprises. Their website makes the 15 inch scale length very clear.

Great review Baz, I had not previously considered a Shima, but based on your review, it is on the radar. Thank you.

Good review and agreed. Good uke. I had one for a short while and thought it was one of the better feeling ukes I have played. Great neck and fretboard.

Love your work Baz.

Thanks very much - nice to review things like this though. They write themselves!

Top Bottom