Fix for slippery plastic ukuleles

dcuttler

Reaction score
Having recently purchased a Flight Travel ukulele with a plastic body, I found that while it plays nicely, it has a major problem; it’s like trying to hold a wet bar of soap.

I found an inexpensive fix. I bought a 4 x 8 inch sheet of grip material from Calolsa Tactical on Ebay for $3.50 including shipping. This material is very thin, flexible, extremely grippy, and easy to cut with a knife or scissors. It's generally used for enhancing pistol grips.

I cut a 1.5 x 8 inch strip for the lower side of the ukulele, and placed the rest on the back. If you do it, all you need to do, is cut it to size, clean the ukulele with alcohol, pull off the paper backing, and stick it in place

The results are perfect, with the ukulele staying wherever you place it.

Attachments

• 20190119_121549.jpg
    20190119_121549.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Nice solution! Now, just to make sure I'm clear, is the "side" strip intended for when you're playing in the sitting position, and the "back" strip for when you're standing?

Nice solution! Now, just to make sure I'm clear, is the "side" strip intended for when you're playing in the sitting position, and the "back" strip for when you're standing?

Yes. Actually both the side snd back help when sitting.

Attachments

• 20190119_121535.jpg
    20190119_121535.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 48
Great idea and it looks good, too. I put strap buttons on mine, but I know that's not everyone's thing.

Well I arrived at work early this morning, so decided to sit in my car and play some ukulele. The grip material works fantastic. No sliding. If I wasn't afraid what the adhesive would do, I would apply some to my wood ukuleles too.

The next project is to figure out how to hang sheet music on my steering wheel.

I try not to wear "slippery fabrics" when I'm going to play.

Thanks! My sheet is on the way for my Outdoor Ukulele tenor.

;) How about blue tack? Or blue painter's tape. Maybe put the music in a plastic sheet protector so it has some weight and doesn't blow around when you move or breathe.

;) How about blue tack? Or blue painter's tape. Maybe put the music in a plastic sheet protector so it has some weight and doesn't blow around when you move or breathe.

I am thinking about using a pair of pants hanger hooks attached to a piece of wood with a pair of spring paper clips glued to it. It would hang across the steering wheel. Going to look into it later this week.

Top Bottom