Season 362 - Travelling with the Wilburys

mep1

Reaction score
Travelling with the Wilburys

This season we go on a musical journey with ‘The Travelling Wilburys’, a super group consisting of some of my all time great heroes: Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. Individually super performers and boy did they come together as a group as well.

This season I would like you to bring songs from either The Travelling Wilburys as a group or written and performed by the members in their respective bands or individually.

As George Harrison obviously was a member of a certain supergroup I don’t want this season to be about the Beatles songs, so no Lennon/McCartney tunes, only songs from The Beatles written by George Harrison himself but please dig into his fabulous solo albums as well.

George Harrison was a huge fan of the banjolele and so is Jeff Lynne, so if you have one in your collection, this is the season to bring it. If you haven’t seen their little jam, here it is (starts at 1:54):

Other rules:
1 song per day limit and please mix it up, so when you have covered a song by a member of the group, move onto another member, but feel free to include some of the fabulous songs from the two Travelling Wilburys albums as well. The Saturday and second Sunday in the season won't have any limits.

Originals are welcome. Please make them about travel, or playing music together or about someone called Wilbur, Tom, Jeff, George, Bob or Roy. Originals are outside of the song limit rules.

Usual rules apply. Starting Sunday 12am Hawaii time and goes for 8 days finishing the following Sunday 12am. The songs must be newly recorded for season 362.

Multi tracking and a mix of instrumentals are fine, as are collaborations. Ukulele to be the dominant instrument.

Please remember to comment on each others songs.

Prices:
Oh yes, there will be prices this season!!!

I wish you all good luck and hope you have fun on your musical journey with The Travelling Wilburys.

Cheers,
Mads

PS. Remember to do a few more fab Scandi songs before moving on to this season - I know that I will…

PLAYLIST

BREAKING NEWS! I have decided that 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is also outside of the daily upload allowance/limit, so keep them coming! Love that song and it was one of the first I was playing on my guitar as a teen and can still remember.

Last edited:
Super cool theme!

Great theme Mads - George Harrison and Jeff Lynne, in spite of their success, are still two of the most underrated musical talents this country has ever produced. If all goes to plan I might surprise you a bit with one of my songs this time - not sure how legal it’ll be, but then again that’s never stopped the bad boy of the Seasons, Trent, from chancing his arm! ;) Hope I’ll manage to do it now!

Super theme Mads!
Here's an original with a travelling theme-"Travellin' North".But I'm a fan of all those guys so i hope to get some covers in too.

From out of nowhere
Via no fixed plan
The ghost of Hank whispered
You’re a ramblin’ man

Now I’m travellin’ north
In the heat of the day
A waterfall kisses
The dust away

In Bundaberg I was cutting some cane
For Whipcrack George he was jealous insane
When his wife winked at me
It was time to move
Time to move on

Travellin’ north
A seed on the wind
No rhyme or reason
No traceable sin

I met a man whose feet had turned to stone
He said I’m dying here and I’m dying alone
Keep moving son,
keep moving on

Travellin’ north
To the logical end
Sky is my witness
Road is my friend

Travellin’ north

Perfect theme, I'm looking forward to what everybody brings. One from George Harrison to start with.

Here's a bit of hastily put-together Bob Dylan

I Won't Back Down, by Tom Petty. We've played this a million times in our band (me on rhythm guitar/backup vocals), here it is on uke.

Last edited:
Another Beatles era George Harrison song from 1965’s Help! Album. My favourite George song from his time with the group. Confession, I have actually recorded this one before, but a year or so ago, but it was not for a Season, I put it on the Island I think. Can’t remember if I played it on soprano or concert. Here it’s on tenor.

This is one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs, and I've always wanted to try it but never have till now.

Wow, you guys are on it :) - Remember there is still a possibility to participate in the Scandi season. Anyone up for Ace of Base or Aqua? LOL

The playlist is now live and updated until this post.

And thanks for already posting two different versions of 'While My Guitar (Ukulele) Gently Weeps' - I did consider either banning it or put up a special price for performing this classic hit, now a symbol of the ukulele, but decided to see if you guys would pick it up on your own. Both versions are nice, so keep them coming.

Only had a sneak preview of the songs so far as I was busy with my recording of the danish Eurovision winner 'Dansevise' for season 361, but will be on it properly tonight.

Cheers,
Mads

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS! I have decided that 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is also outside of the daily upload allowance/limit, so keep them coming! Love that song and it was one of the first I was playing on my guitar as a teen and can still remember.

Love, love, love this challenge! Will post a song or two later, but here's a "TLDR" post first.

Turns out that George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Tom Petter, and my friend Kirk are the reason that my whole family (me, wife, two daughters, ages 8 and 11) plays ukulele.

My friend Kirk and I both took up guitar in our adult years. Six years ago, we were riding in a car - talking about guitar acquisition syndrome - and he asked if I had ever wanted a ukulele. I said, no, not really, but that I had watched the "Concert for George" video recently and loved the version of "Something" done by Paul McCartney and band. Then I forgot about the conversation.

A few months later, Kirk called and said, "Have you bought any instruments lately?". I said no. He said, "Good, don't."

A month or two after that, he called or emailed and said, "You'll get a big box from me and a letter soon. Read the letter before you open the box."

Sure enough, a giant box showed up on the doorstep. The accompanying letter said that he had thought of a great Christmas present for us, and waited patiently for Christmas to come. "I waited 30 seconds, then 60 seconds, and still no Christmas! So I decided to send it now." He then referenced this Tom Petty interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npan0fvtIjg - and especially the ending where George gives him multiple ukuleles because your friends don't always remember to bring theirs.

Inside the box were five ukuleles, with names on them -- "BJ" (me), my wife, my daughters, and "Friend."

BEST GIFT EVER. My daughters were 3 and 6 at the time, and have played ever since. A bunch of our friends play now too.

Will post shortly and may get my family together later this week...

William (BJ)

Last edited:
Handle with Care, by the Wilburys

So admittedly this is pretty rough, as a) I have played it on guitar a bit, but not much on uke, b) there are a lot of voices in the Wilbury's version and it's hard to sing, and c) I was so excited by the challenge that I just wanted to do it without a lot of "rehearsal". So please listen with care (and patience). If I can convince them, I'll get my family to play "End of the Line" later on....

-BJ

Last edited:
Handle With Care

haberkow beat me to the punch with his version of "Handle With Care". But it's such a fun song to sing, so here's my take. This is my first video in ages.

- FiL

Last edited:
I thought of this song right away because this was a favorite of a friend of mine who passed away several years ago when he was about the same age I am now. It seemed he especially liked the part about Purple Haze, for some reason. I never asked why.

Here's a paoriginal written about 5 years ago.
Revisited here on banjo uke just for this season.
My mum has also passed since I wrote this.
It's about travelling (on).

Last edited:
Season 362. Submission 1 "You Know What To Do" (Words and music by George Harrison. Recorded by the Beatles, 1964).

Thank you for hosting, Mads, and your great theme.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and George was my crush when I was a girl, but I didn't remember this song. I've just discovered it, since you announced your theme. What fun - finding a brand new Beatles song! This one appears on Anthology 1.

Top Bottom