Where do you get your wood?

SpaceForRent

Reaction score
I want to add heel caps to my two uke kits to give a little extra visual interest. Obviously, I don't need a very big piece to make that happen. Where do you all get your wood? I'd love to find a source for very small quantities. So far, my best bet looks like knife scales from Rockler.

Ebony can be easily obtained in small quantities on eBay in the form of ebony ornaments...look for Ebony trays.
If it's just for heel caps try "knife handle blocks" there are loads of them in all colours.

Last edited:
Ebony can be easily obtained in small quantities on eBay in the form of ebony ornaments...look for Ebony trays.
If it's just for heel caps try "knife handle blocks" there are loads of them in all colours.

Lee Valley has the pen blanks and some larger sizes. Not cheap but if you only need a bit it might be worth it. I would love to get an assortment of colored wood to do inlay with.

When it comes to heel caps, head-stock overlays and "embellishments" this is the easiest place for someone to mill their own out of scraps or firewood (assuming it is dry & you have the ability).

I would also suggest that you could talk to a fellow wood worker in the area and see if you can get something out of their scrap bin (save yourself some time and make sure they are someone who actually uses wood as a lot of folks use crappy composites these days) you can either buy it with cash or maybe they like beer???....

You can also look up hardwood suppliers in your area and see what they have as a lot of them have a by the pound scrap bin.... or you can buy by the board foot which means they will cut off a chunk for you. Then you can work it out from their. But I guess it really comes down to what you are looking for and your skill level of working the piece down to the size you need.

But Ken's suggestions are good to...just depends on which way is best for you...
Best of luck!

I want to add heel caps to my two uke kits to give a little extra visual interest. Obviously, I don't need a very big piece to make that happen. Where do you all get your wood? I'd love to find a source for very small quantities. So far, my best bet looks like knife scales from Rockler.

What are you looking for? I'll send you a few scraps.

What are you looking for? I'll send you a few scraps.

That's very generous of you! I was thinking of keeping it simple with something dark to match the fretboard and bridge, which are both rosewood. If that's too soft for a good heel cap, then ebony I guess. I dont know much about exotics. My woodworking experience is limited to pine, spruce, maple, oak, etc.

There must be quite a few hardwood dealers in eastern Mass. Google them and custom woodworkers also. They will probably be more than glad to give you their scraps. You will probably make a few good connections in the process.

You can get ebony and other woods from LMI as Ukulele fretboards for under $10. You could chop off enough for a heal cap and still have enough for a fretboard.

Top Bottom