Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffett singing National Anthem at playoffs today

Default Buffett singing National Anthem at playoffs today

Wow, I know Jimmy Buffett has never been known for having a stellar voice but boy oh boy, my husband said “who is that? he stinks”. I told him that I thought they said Jimmy Buffett but I had to double check cuz I thought I might have been wrong…but I wasnt. I was a little embarrassed for him. I didn’t expect technical perfection but man, it was really lackluster. Am I being harsh?

I was thinking along the same lines. The performance was underwhelming and his voice didn't suggest the same voice you hear on his recordings.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - all-solid, sinker redwood top, rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Kala KA-ZCT-C - all-laminate ziricote, walnut fretboard, satin neck
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)

LOL, I thought it was Warren Buffett. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    LOL, I thought it was Warren Buffett. Yikes!
    �� some offers to perform should be declined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I think very few USA musicians would refuse an invitation to perform the national anthem at a sporting event. Your country has 330 million people, most of them don't have a good singing voice. Celebrate the fact that your national anthem can be accessed and sung by 330 million people and it does not matter how good they are at singing.
    Thanks for explaining that to me Bill. I am proud to stand and sing our national anthem at every opportunity but it would matter to me how good I was at singing if I were to be doing the anthem on national television. It’s a tough song to sing and many performers are reluctant to take a gig like that. I wonder how Jimmy felt about it. We in the crowd can proudly sing, even with a poor voice but we appreciate a singer leading us who can really do our anthem justice.

I’m glad that I didn’t hear him sing the Anthem. I like his CDs a lot, hearing him flop would have made me sad.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA Fingerpick (5ths)

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    Thanks for explaining that to me Bill. I am proud to stand and sing our national anthem at every opportunity but it would matter to me how good I was at singing if I were to be doing the anthem on national television. It’s a tough song to sing and many performers are reluctant to take a gig like that. I wonder how Jimmy felt about it. We in the crowd can proudly sing, even with a poor voice but we appreciate a singer leading us who can really do our anthem justice.
    Firstly let me say I like your National Anthem, but probably one of the more difficult ones to sing well. The best live version I ever saw was by Roy Orbison, he nailed it. What a voice!
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Banjo Ukes & Ukuleles
    Proudly Hand Crafted in
    New Zealand.

I am a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, and I thought that it wasn't very good. He should stick to songs about beaches, volcanos, and rum drinks. I heard him in concert this last summer and he was great. I just think it is a hard song to sing, for anyone. With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us. Anyway, I guess if they didn't sing it before sporting events, we would never sing it at all. I can't think of a time when I've heard the national anthem that it didn't come with a sporting event to go with it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us.
    In most parts of Western Europe, as far as I know, there is no singing of national anthems before every sport event. Only some international competitions like the World Championships in Football (Soccer) are started by singing -- or rather by playing -- the anthems of both parties, or the anthems of the winner, second and third place get played in international sport events such as skiing or athletics.

I admit, I didn't recognize him. And I actually turned to my spouse and said, "who is that guy? He is terrible. He must be an employee of the Saints and is retiring or something so they let him sing it as a favor," since he had on a Saints shirt. I couldn't believe it when he did the mic drop at the end. Eek!
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Thread Information