Buffett singing National Anthem at playoffs today

bunnyf

Reaction score
Wow, I know Jimmy Buffett has never been known for having a stellar voice but boy oh boy, my husband said “who is that? he stinks”. I told him that I thought they said Jimmy Buffett but I had to double check cuz I thought I might have been wrong…but I wasnt. I was a little embarrassed for him. I didn’t expect technical perfection but man, it was really lackluster. Am I being harsh?

I was thinking along the same lines. The performance was underwhelming and his voice didn't suggest the same voice you hear on his recordings.

LOL, I thought it was Warren Buffett. Yikes!

I think very few USA musicians would refuse an invitation to perform the national anthem at a sporting event. Your country has 330 million people, most of them don't have a good singing voice. Celebrate the fact that your national anthem can be accessed and sung by 330 million people and it does not matter how good they are at singing.
Thanks for explaining that to me Bill. I am proud to stand and sing our national anthem at every opportunity but it would matter to me how good I was at singing if I were to be doing the anthem on national television. It’s a tough song to sing and many performers are reluctant to take a gig like that. I wonder how Jimmy felt about it. We in the crowd can proudly sing, even with a poor voice but we appreciate a singer leading us who can really do our anthem justice.

Thanks for explaining that to me Bill. I am proud to stand and sing our national anthem at every opportunity but it would matter to me how good I was at singing if I were to be doing the anthem on national television. It’s a tough song to sing and many performers are reluctant to take a gig like that. I wonder how Jimmy felt about it. We in the crowd can proudly sing, even with a poor voice but we appreciate a singer leading us who can really do our anthem justice.

Firstly let me say I like your National Anthem, but probably one of the more difficult ones to sing well. The best live version I ever saw was by Roy Orbison, he nailed it. What a voice!

I am a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, and I thought that it wasn't very good. He should stick to songs about beaches, volcanos, and rum drinks. I heard him in concert this last summer and he was great. I just think it is a hard song to sing, for anyone. With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us. Anyway, I guess if they didn't sing it before sporting events, we would never sing it at all. I can't think of a time when I've heard the national anthem that it didn't come with a sporting event to go with it.

With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us.

In most parts of Western Europe, as far as I know, there is no singing of national anthems before every sport event. Only some international competitions like the World Championships in Football (Soccer) are started by singing -- or rather by playing -- the anthems of both parties, or the anthems of the winner, second and third place get played in international sport events such as skiing or athletics.

I admit, I didn't recognize him. And I actually turned to my spouse and said, "who is that guy? He is terrible. He must be an employee of the Saints and is retiring or something so they let him sing it as a favor," since he had on a Saints shirt. I couldn't believe it when he did the mic drop at the end. Eek!

wicked wahine, thats too funny cuz i didnt hear the introduction and my first thought when i heard him start (I hadn’t recognized him yet) was he cant be a professional. I thought he must be some fan who did something special, or was part of a charity or the like.

Bill1, I certainly agree that we’ve become super picky, and everyone’s a critic. I think it’s the fault of all the darned news programs on our TV. Politics, politics, politics . . . does it never end? And everyone seems to have a “side” and hates the other side. Somehow we’ve become a nation of haters.

I thought we should’ve stopped having the Anthem sung when all those bozos started “taking the knee.” :eek:ld:

Bill1, I certainly agree that we’ve become super picky, and everyone’s a critic. I think it’s the fault of all the darned news programs on our TV. Politics, politics, politics . . . does it never end? And everyone seems to have a “side” and hates the other side. Somehow we’ve become a nation of haters.

I thought we should’ve stopped having the Anthem sung when all those bozos started “taking the knee.” :eek:ld:

That's getting mighty close to a political post Dick, but to continue, I really object to anyone saying that the players who "took a knee" were doing it to dishonor service people or to insult the flag or to be unpatriotic. They were making a political statement, but not for those reasons and anyone who paid attention should know that. . . and how does kneeling show disrespect?

Last edited:
I am a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, and I thought that it wasn't very good. He should stick to songs about beaches, volcanos, and rum drinks. I heard him in concert this last summer and he was great. I just think it is a hard song to sing, for anyone. With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us. Anyway, I guess if they didn't sing it before sporting events, we would never sing it at all. I can't think of a time when I've heard the national anthem that it didn't come with a sporting event to go with it.

Canadian sporting events do begin with O Canada.

Last edited:
That's getting mighty close to a political post Dick, but to continue, I really object to anyone saying that the players who "took a knee" were doing it to dishonor service people or to insult the flag or to be unpatriotic. They were making a political statement, but not for those reasons and anyone who paid attention should know that. . . and how does kneeling show disrespect?

All right, my apologies for the the political posting. I’ll just keep on astrummin’ and asmilin’. :eek:ld:

I'll agree that it wasn't all that good, but really, it is the national anthem. Do people really go to games to hear a great rendition of the national anthem? If they listen to it at all, it is to see how bad someone can screw it up. At least he sang the song like a normal person and didn't try to embellish it beyond recognition. Most people go to games to drink beer and yell. Half the people there use it as a chance to run up to the concourse, go to the restroom and get some more beer before the game starts. I mean, he got it done, dropped the mic, and game on. Works for me.

With all the controversy going on, I often wonder why we have to start every sporting event with the national anthem. Do other countries do that? I don't know. Maybe someone can tell us. Anyway, I guess if they didn't sing it before sporting events, we would never sing it at all. I can't think of a time when I've heard the national anthem that it didn't come with a sporting event to go with it.

There was some discussion about this when Colin Kaepernick began taking a knee at the beginning of 49er football games. Here are links to a couple of articles that provide an historical perspective. As these articles indicate, it began in major league baseball during World War I, in the 1918 World Series, with a seventh inning stretch tribute to the Chicago Cubs' third baseman, who was on furlough from the Navy so he could play in the series.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/3/12774172/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-why

When I was a kid, National Hockey League teams in the U.S. began playing O Canada along with The Star Spangled Banner when the visiting team was from Canada. That practice then spread to every game, probably because there were, at the time, so many Canadian players on teams based in the U.S.

Last edited:
Canadian sporting events almost always start with O Canada.
In fact, when I was a kid in the fifties and sixties, when we went to a movie or a play, they would play O Canada and everyone would stand. I had forgotten that until this thread reminded me. I can't remember when this stopped, but it definitely has.

Top Bottom