Suggestions Please

plunker

Reaction score
I was playing with some friends the other night, he is a rather accomplished guitar payer, she has been playing ukulele for a short time.
Between one and two years. I brought a kala tenor for her to try because she has a concert. Very basic Kala. I let her try my Pono and both of them were really impressed with the sound. My ukulele is a MTD (Solid Mahogany) and it is strung with the warmest low tension strings southcoast had. They started looking for Ponos and wow, the price was heavy for them. (I got mine used on e bay for considerably cheaper than a new one.
Any suggestion on a $ 200 ish ukulele and string combination that would mimic that kind of tone. Not sure how to post what mine sounds like.

The Ohana is a nice sounding uke in the stated price range. But it will not sound like a Pono. If he is a guitar player he understands and should be aware all solid wood instruments command a certain price tag. An entry level all solid wood Martin guitar is over $1000.......compared to an all solid Pono at $400.00. The uke is cheap by guitar standards.

Check out Mainland Ukes. They're arguably the best value for all solid wood ukuleles, and their Tenor ukes are around $250-$300 USD. They're not going to sound like a Pono Tenor, but they sound pretty darn good, and they all come with a good setup, so they play well and in tune!

Fortunately, a friend introduced me to UU and Reverb and the world of not new, lower cost ukuleles. I have this Kala KA-ATP-CT tenor, and I love it - great looks and great sound. I had a similar Pono, but I sold it because 1. I could get a good price for it; 2. I preferred the sound of the Kala.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...trTfWUqSxQiuTswmTXqjFEB06eCP5MokaAot6EALw_wcB

Good call on the cedar topped Kala. I was going to recommend that one as well.

Same with "Steedys" recommendation of the Mainland if they want all solid mahogany, great choice.

Top Bottom