New Concert and Soprano Model from Romero Creations

Rakelele

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert! Pepe Romero has posted a picture on Instagram with the new models of his import line which he will be showing at the NAMM show next week:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoZNFoAqu4/

Here is what I spot, from left to right:

• a full size guitar
  • a Baritone guilele with regular figure 8 shape
  • a Baritone scale guilele with the Tiny Tenor body shape
  • a Tiny Tenor shaped guilele (AKA TT6)
  • a regular figure 8 concert in Koa
  • and a regular figure 8 soprano in Koa

While the different guilele models have already been eagerly discussed in this forum (here), the two last models are entirely new: So far, Romero Creations made the triangular shaped Tiny Tenor, ST Concert and XS Soprano, along with a Replica of Pepe's custom tenors. But what the picture shows is that they will now offer a regular figure 8 shaped concert and soprano! Well, kind of regular: The body looks longer and the bridge placed higher than on other ukes. Pepe commented about this:

I made the bodies as large as possible and used a short headstock. This creates a large resonating box and still fits the traditional dimensions of length and scale of a Concert and Soprano. I took a normal body and enlarged the lower bout… They sound great!

Last edited:
Rainer
Thank you for the information. I missed the first TT6 because you and Kathryn grabbed them so fast. I hope it won't be another year wait before they produce the cheaper version out of the Asia factory.
Since I am not good with the two extra strings, I really can't justify buying a $$$ instrument. Hope the price stay under a thousand when its on the market.

Both 14 fretters with big soundholes...betcha they have gobs of volume.

I too noticed the 14 frets to the body, even the a soprano (which is unusual), and with the extended length of the lower bout, I would expect this to sound different than most soprano ukes, even if only from the increased surface area of the resonating top.

I am looking forward to sound samples being available after NAMM. :)

I bought the mahogany concert from HMS and I love it! If the soprano is anything like it, it'll be great. If you haven't yet watched the podcast with these, it's at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIRv3Z2Qm-E

Yes, I saw this! The video starts with the soprano model that has an oversized body, giving a tenor tone and projection. They are a bit expensive for my pocketbook right now, but want one later! They are also very hard to find!

I sure wish there were other manufacturers who would introduce something similar to the new Romero large body soprano. Maybe a short scale concert? I do have a Vita (Ohana) soprano which is probably the closest, but the Romero large body soprano sounds so much nicer! (IMO)

I have to admit, some of their instruments are interesting concepts and I applaud anyone who is trying new things. I am sure this will appeal to many people. For me, while they sound lovely, they miss the sound that I look for in a soprano.

Top Bottom