Things I done to a Martin S1 Uke

Well, how does it look? A shoe shine finish, except it’s not shoes.

8dKc7F2.jpg

It’s not like high gloss finish, more of a hand polish semi-gloss of this vintage looking Martin ukuleles.
Cot3iqk.jpg

7t8D5ST.jpg

dDvtJs9.jpg

I think the shoe polish definitely does the job but I won’t recommend it unless you’re like me, a bit of a whack.

Well well well, the bridge popped off today! So I must first begin this by admitting I’m guilty of doing zero humidity control. This S1 hardly sees the inside of its gigbag ever since I got it last year. It is being played for almost every single day and all this while living in a humidity level of around 70%. Today is a 74% and I think the S1 finally had enough. I’m glad it didn’t pop off while in use.

So visually I see no damage to the sound board.
LtfYLTgl.jpg

Quickly proceed to sand the dried glue away using some fine grit sand paper.
Ebpfwy0l.jpg

Have removed most of the glue and ready to adhere.
IBcdNx8l.jpg

Finally back in 1 piece again.
R1ONOQgl.jpg

I guess I have to wait for at least 12hrs before stringing it up again. Will be crossing my fingers cos I’m just using some super glue gel.

You shined it up nice. If that super glue doesn't hold, you can check with the luthier forum and see what they recommend. It's pretty humid year round in Hawaii, not sure that's what caused the problem with the bridge.

I think it's great that you've personalized this so much. When I do that it either makes me love the instrument more--or never want to see it again!

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the glue on the base of the bridge gave out because of the solvents in the shoe polish... :eek:

Since it's a modern uke, and already modded & repaired, making it a string-thru would ensure that that bridge never popped off again.

Great idea! I think that style always looks simple and elegant

You shined it up nice. If that super glue doesn't hold, you can check with the luthier forum and see what they recommend. It's pretty humid year round in Hawaii, not sure that's what caused the problem with the bridge.

I think it's great that you've personalized this so much. When I do that it either makes me love the instrument more--or never want to see it again!

I hope I don’t have to post about another pop off again. Haha.
It has sentimental value so I’m definitely keeping it and playing it. And I’m not done fooling around with it yet. If you see what I mean cos I bought some wood etching tools recently.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the glue on the base of the bridge gave out because of the solvents in the shoe polish... :eek:

That could be it. Likely. I did rub some white spirit (turpentine) all over besides the shoe polish.

I also did stuffed in a very huge knot end of the C string, which is thick nylon, into the tiny bridge slot. I almost have to shove in the knot. This may also weaken the glue too.It’s Kamaka black nylon by the way and I can tell you that it did not sound good but that’s like common sense already. I just have to give it a try cos it worked pretty well on my Martin C1K though as a Low G set.

Since it's a modern uke, and already modded & repaired, making it a string-thru would ensure that that bridge never popped off again.

My meaty hands, along with short and stubby fingers can never make it through the tiny soprano sound hole to pull the strings out. Too fiddly for me!

I have a story to share on screw-on bridge which is kind of relevant here. I have seen some bad things happening on this design. I guessed it’s poor humidity aftercare and not the maker’s issue, who is very famous. Shall not name the brand out. What happened is that the screw-on bridge pulled the soundboard up along with it. This left some very visible contour lines (not cracks) surrounding the bridge.

So I’m not sure if a string through design would have a similar effect as well.

Great idea! I think that style always looks simple and elegant

It does look neater but as mentioned above, I rather have an old school design.

....My meaty hands, along with short and stubby fingers can never make it through the tiny soprano sound hole to pull the strings out. Too fiddly for me!......

I thought so too, at first. After stringing a uke as string-thru a few times, I figured out that inserting the string at the right orientation would force the end to pop right out thru the soundhole. When that doesn't happen, I just grab it inside with a pair of needle nose pliers, put a bead on, and tie a double or triple knot. Very secure, and no more bridge poppage on the bridge that popped on me.

I thought so too, at first. After stringing a uke as string-thru a few times, I figured out that inserting the string at the right orientation would force the end to pop right out thru the soundhole. When that doesn't happen, I just grab it inside with a pair of needle nose pliers, put a bead on, and tie a double or triple knot. Very secure, and no more bridge poppage on the bridge that popped on me.

It does sounded much easier in the way you described. I may try the thru hole method if the bridge does pop off again. Hope not with all fingers crossed.

AustinHing,

I did that to a $100 Kala uke once, waxed it. Good god, I got that white effect too, couldn't get it out.
Then, in desperation, I showed it to my luthier, and told me,
"Never use wax on an ukulele, except for the back of the neck, if it's bare wood."

I'll never do that again, I'll tolerate a bare looking finish instead.

If that bridge pops off again, I think you'd be better off with a through the body style bridge. You've already modded your uke, so what's one more thing?

The shine does look nice. I like fooling around with my ukes too, but I think I'll leave my Loprinzi alone. I haven't fooled around with my Cocobolo Ukulele either, although I'd like to.

Last edited:
Guess I’m not the only one with a wax on bare finish ukulele. The so-called satin finish on the S1 is so barely there that I can’t help myself to do something about it. But I’m not regretting at all. black shoe polish saved the day.

Good call on not messing with your Loprinzi. For my S1, I’m pretty comfortable to do any kind of mod on it and totally not bothered if it turns out bad.

I will be stringing up it soon. Waiting for the glue to cure until 24 hours later.

So.. bad news. The bridge is pulled up when I tightened the last string. Kind of expected. Haha. I have cleaned up the glue and it’s ready for a visit to a luthier workshop.

I’m having a bad case of a need to play a soprano right away. :(

Last edited:
So.. bad news. The bridge is pulled up when I tightened the last string. Kind of expected. Haha. I have cleaned up the glue and it’s ready for a visit to a luthier workshop.

I’m having a bad case of a need to play a soprano right away. :(

That's a shame.
Maybe that uke is asking for a through the body bridge....
Both of my last 2 ukes have that, and I don't regret it.
I had a tie bridge pop off once, what a bummer. Not only did it pull off, it split the joint in the top all the way to the butt. I couldn't fix it.

Geez, too bad. You did a neat job before, seem to have ths skills. Just do that re-glue again, and this time, drill the (4) 1/8" holes for string thru, it'll never pop off again, and you save some dough. I'm a hack, and it was real easy for me.

That's a shame.
Maybe that uke is asking for a through the body bridge....
Both of my last 2 ukes have that, and I don't regret it.
I had a tie bridge pop off once, what a bummer. Not only did it pull off, it split the joint in the top all the way to the butt. I couldn't fix it.

Seems like that’s my only option now to prevent future pop offs.

Geez, too bad. You did a neat job before, seem to have ths skills. Just do that re-glue again, and this time, drill the (4) 1/8" holes for string thru, it'll never pop off again, and you save some dough. I'm a hack, and it was real easy for me.

Okay, the deal for the luthier job is that I have this crazy idea to convert this uke to a taropatch. Yep, the 8 string ukulele except this will be a soprano version. Not sure if they will entertain me on this. With 4 more Gotoh UPT installed, drill the 1/8” holes next to the original slot holes, file the nut for new string slots and I get myself a taropatch ukulele. So how that sounds?

If I need to fish out a string from inside the body I take a pipe cleaner and bend it so that it has about an inch hook.
Whole thing takes less than a minute and a pipe cleaner won’t bang or scratch anything.

Top Bottom