Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've officially lost control, now. I'm a noob, but UAS is real.

Default I've officially lost control, now. I'm a noob, but UAS is real.

As a lifelong guitar player, I've managed to amass only four (ok, ten) guitars over that entire time. However, after picking up a cheap ukulele that my daughter bought eight months ago, I find that I've already bought five.

Yes, I've bought five ukuleles in eight months.

At this rate, in two years I'll be in my housecoat, out on the street, pushing my shopping cart full of ukuleles, mumbling "just one more...".
    When I bought a Collings UT1 a month ago and started fingerpicking that thing, the sound made something tear loose in my mind. I knew I'd lost it all an hour ago when I found myself paying eBay for a sad little 50's Martin Style 1 with a missing string and a back gouge that looks like it was acquired in a barfight. I'll keep you up to speed on my efforts to restore it. The adventure (illness) begins. Greg

Welcome.. the list below is not complete and is less than a year old..
    Uke Set:
    Sopranos: Ken Timms, TinGuitar Khaya, Rip Tide Acacia, Martin: 3k Koa, 3M centennial, 1927 1K
    Super Soprano: Cocobolo
    Tenors: Moore Bettah(Sitka, ebony slothead), Compass Rose Koa, Tyde learner Spruce n Koa, Ono 18 wahoo Adirondack n rosewood, Fluke spruce top, MyaMoe 1848
    Baritone: Les Stansell PO Cedar walnut, Les Stansell Incense Cedar Myrtle. Vintage unbranded laminate mahagony.
    Cello Banjo: Waldman Cello Banjo D dGBE
    Always buying, tradings & selling,(kerneltime)at gmail

Welcome. We're not going to talk you out of it, but instead enable, and help you enjoy the journey . A vintage Martin is indeed a beautiful thing!
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-23-2019 at 06:29 AM.
    John

Welcome Chevy...

Good, you were smart enough to get your vintage martin soprano early in the early stages. Bad...you have UAS, there fore you will now spend time trying to better what you already have...and that will be difficult to do with out spending quite a bit more money. I personally think old Martin sopranos are a good value for your uke dollar. But have fun trying...! Everyone here will help!

Compared to me, your back in the pack. I played guitar for almost 50 years, in that time I had 5, two 6 string acoustics, a 12 string acoustic, an archtop jazz and a Fender Telecaster. A little over 5 years ago I retired and started playing ukulele, in the first year I went through 16 when I decided to keep only the ones I liked the most, which was 4, since then I'm up to 9. That year end I also started playing bass uke, which really took me in. In the last 4 years I'm up to 24 basses, all under 24" scale. I haven't touched my guitars since, on permanent loan to my nephew.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Quote Originally Posted by Chevytothelevy View Post
    As a lifelong guitar player, I've managed to amass only four (ok, ten) guitars over that entire time. However, after picking up a cheap ukulele that my daughter bought eight months ago, I find that I've already bought five.

Yes, I've bought five ukuleles in eight months.

At this rate, in two years I'll be in my housecoat, out on the street, pushing my shopping cart full of ukuleles, mumbling "just one more...".
    When I bought a Collings UT1 a month ago and started fingerpicking that thing, the sound made something tear loose in my mind. I knew I'd lost it all an hour ago when I found myself paying eBay for a sad little 50's Martin Style 1 with a missing string and a back gouge that looks like it was acquired in a barfight. I'll keep you up to speed on my efforts to restore it. The adventure (illness) begins. Greg
    You are doing fine! 5 Ukes in 8 months is very very normal. I got 7 Ukes in 3 months and I think Iím well below the UAS. Keep it up! Thereís always room for 1 more.
    Last edited by AustinHing; 01-21-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    Martin S-1 Uke
    Martin C1K Uke
    Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S

Just try to keep it below 20, (that's getting excessive & being more a collector), but then again, they're nice to look at too!

(I managed to stop at 17...... I found the ones that I had been looking for all along........ tenor scale/concert body.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Welcome Greg.......to the ukulele asylum, it's a sickness I tell you a sickness.

The darn things are like puppies, you just want to take them all home with you. Enjoy the ride.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    You are doing fine! 5 Ukes in 8 months is very very normal. I got 7 Ukes in 3 months and I think I’m well below the UAS. Keep it up! There’s always room for 1 more.
    Yeah, you're doing fine! You don't need to be an Einstein to know it's fun! BTW, I never knew, but Einstein loved music, playing violin and piano, frequently playing music to help in his brainstorming sessions!

einstein_uke1.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-22-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    John

Welcome to the UAS...oops, I mean, the UU forum.
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Thread Information