Deceptive Wax Coating

dasuol

Reaction score
I recently got a granadillo turning blank. The block looked really nice. It was a deep, dark, rich brown color that I thought would work great for some fretboards and bridges. As these things often are, it was coated in a nice thick coat of wax. After scraping that all off, it still looked great.

But then as I started slicing it up for the fretboard blanks, the wood color on the inside of the block was completely different. It was a lot lighter and more of an orange/golden brown. In the photo below, the bottom piece is the outside of the block, the middle piece is the inside and the top piece is a cutoff with some oil on the left half just to see how it would darken when finished.

2019-01-21 15.21.58.jpg

I have never had a piece of wood change color so drastically when cut open. I'm just wondering if anybody here has experienced anything similar. On other waxed pieces that I have gotten, the wood is generally lighter when cut, but after sanding and finishing it is back to very similar to the way it looked in the wax. For those that have worked with granadillo before, does it darken over time after being cut?

In the end, I got a nice set of fretboard and bridge blanks. They're just a lot different looking than I was expecting. I'll need to rethink the what woods will go well with the more golden color. Any suggestions?

2019-01-21 16.13.43.jpg

I’ve used Osage orange wood for a fretboard. It turns a dark, nutty brown with enough UV exposure but it's a jarring zinc chromate yellow when fresh cut. The friend who got the uke left it by a sunny window for about a week and it mellowed to a light walnut colour.

Purple heart is often quite light when cut, but darkens pretty quickly.

A lot of species go much much darker when oxidized. Yellow Heart, Mahogany, Bocote, Purple Heart, Etc. When finished and in time your cut wood well be as dark as the waxed.

Top Bottom