2002 Koaloha soprano - fair price?

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hello,

Just spotted a 2002 Koaloha soprano and I've been hankering after one of these for a while as I love that crown shape on the top and bottom of the neck. Looks in very good condition, just light wear marks on the 1st fret. Asking $485 including UK shipping.

Do you think this is a fair price? Hard to price the older ones...

Last edited:
Yes, that looks fair to me - very close to what I paid for mine (though mine is a fair bit younger) only last year.

Hope this helps,

John Colter

That sounds like a sweet deal, I paid way more for a 2000 concert and thought it was a decent deal. These old KoAlohas had Koa fretboards, and they turn dark with finger contact. So what looks like wear marks might just be some discoloration.

That sounds like a sweet deal, I paid way more for a 2000 concert and thought it was a decent deal. These old KoAlohas had Koa fretboards, and they turn dark with finger contact. So what looks like wear marks might just be some discoloration.

That makes sense! I'll have to pay tax but I still thought it seemed a good deal and love the look of it with the double crown. And it looks like the front back and sides are one piece

That makes sense! I'll have to pay tax but I still thought it seemed a good deal and love the look of it with the double crown. And it looks like the front back and sides are one piece

Yes the one piece top, back and sides, and koa fretboard with crown end really gave me the incentive me to get this vintage, and mine also has ebony nut and saddle. They look so much better than the modern versions, and I think it also reflects more of the hands on building rather than the current CNC approach. Though when I was in a Honolulu uke store they had a NOS single piece concert (without the unibrace as well) and a new version hanging side by side. They were priced identical, and though the old one looked and felt much better, I must admit that the new version actually was a little bit louder when I compared them. So the KoAloha claims that their modifications are done to improve tone, and not just to cut cost was confirmed by my comparison of one pair.

Hello,

Just spotted a 2002 Koaloha soprano and I've been hankering after one of these for a while as I love that crown shape on the top and bottom of the neck. Looks in very good condition, just light wear marks on the 1st fret. Asking $485 including UK shipping.

Do you think this is a fair price? Hard to price the older ones...

That is a little bit expensive, I think. I would highly recommend that you go to their store or factory with professional ukulele players to figure out whether it worths the price or not. :)

That is a little bit expensive, I think. I would highly recommend that you go to their store or factory with professional ukulele players to figure out whether it worths the price or not. :)

I respectfully disagree. I have owned two and know other who own them so I am always up on pricing. Brand new they sell for $1000 so less than half price is an excellent deal if it is in good shape. Most sell for approx 35% below new, so pricing I have seen is $550-$650.

Pix.fairydust.....this is a good deal if in decent shape. Remember Koaloha have a lifetime warranty which is on the uke not the original owner. You could be the 10th owner and it is still covered. They are a wonderful company that make GREAT ukuleles

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback! I contacted the buyer and he said the only mark is a little wear at the first fret which looks more like discoloration. Unfortunately I'm not able to try before I buy...
I've taken the plunge and bought it

Thanks for all the feedback! I contacted the buyer and he said the only mark is a little wear at the first fret which looks more like discoloration. Unfortunately I'm not able to try before I buy...
I've taken the plunge and bought it

Congratulations you did good and you will love it, great sound. To make you feel even better there is one in the Marketplace (2016) for $675.00 which is an average and fair price.

Top Bottom