Only Yesterday

And your best was more than good enough young John. Good work with a good song mate!!

Thank you, Dave, Joseph, and Campbell! I think the toughest song I ever tried was "How Insensitive," but this one was challenging, too. :)

Great work john. I agree that Karen Carpenter had a great voice, but I have to say I prefer your vocal range for this one. Lovely ukulele playing also. Was this the song with fuzzy guitar solo at the End???
Excellent,
Mike

Thanks, Mike! I think you're thinking of "Goodbye to Love," another song written by Richard Carpenter and John Bettis. In "Only Yesterday," there's a key change, but and they keep singing the chorus part, but I was too lazy to practice and include that! :p

Thanks for the suggestion, Brenda! I've been thinking I should try more 70's stuff. I'll add it to my to-do list! :)

John, great job (as always). Hearing your version reminded me of how big the Carpenters were during the 70's. Thanks, again.

Bill

Beautiful! I love your very understated use of the oboe sound too, and how you avoid the temptation to over-produce! And wow, I'd forgotten what an unusual and interesting chord progression that song has!

Thanks, BillM. Yes, the Carpenters were huge during my high school daze... a big part of my musical memories. :)
Thanks, Bill Sheehan! I think of post-production editing as being similar to cooking, and the question is how much spice to add. In this case, I didn't want the oboe sound to distract from the great lyrics. :)
Thanks, Laurence! I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks, Jon! Have a great weekend! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom