Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kinnard Model: Selmer-tyle Super Tenor -- WOW!!

Default New Kinnard Model: Selmer-tyle Super Tenor -- WOW!!

Kevin Beddoe and luthier John S. Kinnard, have been working on a little stealth project that is now public: a Selmer-style Super Tenor!

Many of you know John's reputation for outstanding ukuleles. What fewer people know is John also has a super reputation for gypsy-style guitars made under the Del Arte brand.

Kevin and John have collaborated to collide these two worlds into a new model that will be offered with either Series 2 or Series 3 appointments and feature the following as "Standard":

• Selmer-style body with classic cutaway
    • Selmer-style snake head slotted headstock
    • Selmer-style large "D" hole sound hole
    • Selmer-style classic rosette
    • Selmer classic-style bridge with string through design
    • Scale length of 19"
    • ​Side soundport available as an option

Here is a link to some pics and sound sample, which sounds really incredible:

http://www.kinnardukes.com/john-s.-k...per-tenor.html

I love the sound and am curious what others think.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

They should articulate beyond looks what is different.. any takers?

I always love the look of the old Selmer guitars, both these and the small oval sound hole models.

Quite a sound hole!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Wow. That is beautiful both in looks and sound. I think Kinnards just keep getting better and better.

Good thing I don't play anything larger than a concert these days, or I'd really, really want that one.

Thanks for sharing Eddie, tell John and Kevin nice job, looks and sounds great. You know I like this style and they have done a very good job with it.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Is it just aesthetics or are the bracings, top thickness different?

Selmer-style instruments are traditionally lattice braced. However, they used a more traditional two fan approach. I have only tried one lattice-braced uke and I did not like it all, so when Beau Hannam built my Selmer-style Grand Tenor, I had him use more traditional uke bracing.

The larger body, sound hole and longer scale are all aesthetic features but they also impact tone. As I noted in my original posting, I think the tone is fantastic and cannot wait to check one out in person.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Do you know what strings they're using on it? I've got a 19" tenor and am still playing around with strings on it. I've been tuning it dGBE but am planning to try linear C tuning at some point. I worry that standard tenor strings would be painfully high tension with the extra scale length.

That is a very beautiful and classy looking uke. John's work and attention to detail is outstanding. And Kevin's style of playing is soooo.... soothing and tranquil. Nice job guys!!!!

Thread Information