Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moon Bird

Default Moon Bird

I was lucky enough to buy a slightly used concert Moon Bird, which arrived yesterday, in the midst of an ice storm. After the long wait for it to safely warm up after its road trip, I finally am able to play it.

Wow! I understand now why people are loving the Moon Birds. The looks probably aren't for everyone, but I really like it. Very well made. Louder than I expected, very well balanced sound all the way up the neck, great intonation, (which can annoy me on some ukuleles), and, well, I just can't think of anything negative to say about it.

Even the case is great!

While I have no intention of changing strings yet, that is my one question. The Anuenue strings aren't sold in the US. Has anyone decided what they'll do when it's time to change strings? Order from overseas? Try some other strings? (If so, which ones?)

Meanwhile, the Moon Bird will cheer me up during this dreary, icy, cold winter weather.

I’ve kept the aNueNue Blackwater strings on mine. I’m not 100% sold on them, but I don’t dislike them enough to change them yet. When I do change, it will probably be Worth Browns or Living Waters. If I want more of the Blackwater strings, I’d get them through World of Ukes in the UK.

I’m so glad you finally got to join the Moon Bird family.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Congratulations on the new Moon Bird, Joyful. Another new owner here (got mine used last week). I’m also on the fence on the stock strings. My go-to strings have always been Worth Clears and Browns. At some point I’ll be trying those but I’m still in the ‘getting to know you’ phase. I also am getting a pickup installed.
    Onyx
    Currently playing:
    Sopranos: Kamaka HP-1L, Ohana SK-25Z, Martin S1 Centennial
    Concerts: Mya Moe Chocolate Heart Mango, Kamaka HF-2, Koaloha KCR-10-AC, Risa Uke Solid Concert, Anuenue Moonbird UC200E
    Tenor: Pono Cedar Rosewood
    For sale:
    Koaloha KCM-00 MH Mahogany
    Koaloha KSM-02
    Martin C1K
    Ken Timms Mahogany

I have already been wondering what it would sound like with Living Water or Worth strings. I like those strings on other ukuleles.
    But will stick with stock strings for now, since today is my first day of playing it. :-)

I was lucky enough to find a used tenor Moon Bird. It came with D'Addario strings. I put on Living Waters and they are wonderful. I can't imagine the need to try anything else.

I think the first string change will be to Living Water strings, based on responses so far. I tend to like the LW strings anyway.
    But, I'll enjoy it as it is for now.

Let us know what you think when you switch to Living Waters.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

I think Fremont blacklines would be a good fit. Worth browns on the tenor don't work in my opinion
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Whats wrong with the stock strings? How do they compare with the love vs hate of Kamaka strings?

Seconded, the stock strings are fantastic in my opinion. Original post was about a recommendation if the anuenue black waters were not available/hard to come by
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Soprano - 2002 Koa KoAloha
    Concert - Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise Kanile'a KSC-C
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a KSR-T LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

"Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

Thread Information