Moon Bird

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to buy a slightly used concert Moon Bird, which arrived yesterday, in the midst of an ice storm. After the long wait for it to safely warm up after its road trip, I finally am able to play it.

Wow! I understand now why people are loving the Moon Birds. The looks probably aren't for everyone, but I really like it. Very well made. Louder than I expected, very well balanced sound all the way up the neck, great intonation, (which can annoy me on some ukuleles), and, well, I just can't think of anything negative to say about it.

Even the case is great!

While I have no intention of changing strings yet, that is my one question. The Anuenue strings aren't sold in the US. Has anyone decided what they'll do when it's time to change strings? Order from overseas? Try some other strings? (If so, which ones?)

Meanwhile, the Moon Bird will cheer me up during this dreary, icy, cold winter weather.

I’ve kept the aNueNue Blackwater strings on mine. I’m not 100% sold on them, but I don’t dislike them enough to change them yet. When I do change, it will probably be Worth Browns or Living Waters. If I want more of the Blackwater strings, I’d get them through World of Ukes in the UK.

I’m so glad you finally got to join the Moon Bird family.

Congratulations on the new Moon Bird, Joyful. Another new owner here (got mine used last week). I’m also on the fence on the stock strings. My go-to strings have always been Worth Clears and Browns. At some point I’ll be trying those but I’m still in the ‘getting to know you’ phase. I also am getting a pickup installed.

I have already been wondering what it would sound like with Living Water or Worth strings. I like those strings on other ukuleles.
But will stick with stock strings for now, since today is my first day of playing it. :)

I was lucky enough to find a used tenor Moon Bird. It came with D'Addario strings. I put on Living Waters and they are wonderful. I can't imagine the need to try anything else.

I think the first string change will be to Living Water strings, based on responses so far. I tend to like the LW strings anyway.
But, I'll enjoy it as it is for now.

Let us know what you think when you switch to Living Waters.

Whats wrong with the stock strings? How do they compare with the love vs hate of Kamaka strings?

I like the stock strings, but they aren't currently being sold in the US. At some point, a string change will be necessary, & the question was meant for what to do then.

As far as Kamaka stock strings, I happen to be someone who doesn't like them. But we all have different tastes, & others like them. :)

Congratulations on the Moonbird, seems everyone that gets them loves them. Is this a NUD post in disguise or did I miss something. No pictures then it didn't happen, you know the drill :p

I ordered some Anuenue strings from a UK shop (I forget which one). It took a while for them to make it to the US, but I wanted to have a couple of sets on hand just in case. I really like the Black Water strings. I love my Moon Bird concert, it is perfect for me. I like the thinner depth of the neck, the weight, and the sound is amazing! I can't decide which one is more perfect, the Moon Bird or the Ohta San. Both cause serious distraction from learning to play Baritone, lol!

So you are who got the Ohta san! It was gone in a minute--before I could get done visiting it. So so envious. And you have the Moon Bird too. Some folks have all the luck.

Congratulations on the Moonbird, seems everyone that gets them loves them. Is this a NUD post in disguise or did I miss something. No pictures then it didn't happen, you know the drill :p

My PayPal account says it did happen. LOL.

I couldn't post pictures that would even come close to the quality on HMS, so for photos and sound sample, that seems like a much better source than me.

Thanks to the UU member who saw me make an attempt and fail to get the Moon Bird that was in the Marketplace, and offered me the chance to buy this one. That person is enjoying a tenor Moon Bird now, so it wasn't dislike of the Moon Bird that made this one available.

I watched Kalei's concert on Taiwan yesterday on youtube and was sold on the Moon Bird. Mine is in the capable hands of the good people at HMS in set up as of 10 minutes ago.

I watched Kalei's concert on Taiwan yesterday on youtube and was sold on the Moon Bird. Mine is in the capable hands of the good people at HMS in set up as of 10 minutes ago.

Congratulations! It's definitely a fun ukulele. I hope you enjoy it.

They do seem to have plenty of ardent fans. I’m one of the few for whom one didn’t work. I know of only two others who also didn’t take to them. But admittedly we appear to be the exceptions rather than the rule. It could be that they respond better to certain playing styles (eg, a less soft attack) than others.

I certainly hope that those who are awaiting theirs will be more than satisfied and make wonderful music for many, many, ahem, coming moons. ;-)

Quick question. Does your Moon Bird have a radiused fretboard? Never saw a mention of this but just received mine and seems to be radiused.

I ordered a couple of sets of the Black Water strings for my aNueNue Moonbird tenor from a Chinese seller on AliExpress. The transaction was reasonably priced, smooth and fast. So far, I haven't been tempted to try a different string brand on this instrument.

Top Bottom