Ukulele News from NAMM 2019

You kinda got bit by the bug pretty hard, didn't you?
I've sold two ukes lately and have been refining my herd so to speak. My Moon Bird has far exceeded my expectations and has become my everyday player. I also have my KoAloha that has a very different sound to it. I had some ukulele money to spend, and those new Kanileas really were tempting. But, after listening to sound samples on HMS, I thought they were too similar to the Moon Bird. What I really needed was a new concert size camping/paddling/rafting/travel uke. My Islander soprano works ok, but concert really is my preferred size. I didn't want a Flea (don't like the neck) and a Clara is too $$$$, and Outdoor doesn't make a concert, and I really wanted a decent laminate. So....... I saw the Kumu video from NAMM & I remembered that I had contacted Mike at Uke Republic last year about the Kumu. He didn't have them at that time. There's not much out there about them, but the sound samples I've found are good. It has the 1.5 nut that I want to try, and the koa veneer on it is really pretty, and it's a satin finish. Once I get it & know that I'm happy with it, I'll probably give the Islander to someone as a starter uke or maybe donate it to the music therapy program at work.

Hey Nickie...... I'm thinking about TBUG in the fall. I'm a native of St. Pete & have family there still. I'll have a new great niece by then, so maybe a combo "meet the new baby/uke festival" trip????

Hey Nickie...... I'm thinking about TBUG in the fall. I'm a native of St. Pete & have family there still. I'll have a new great niece by then, so maybe a combo "meet the new baby/uke festival" trip????

That sounds like a plan! Craig and Sarah and Mim are coming....

Another awesome video from Andrew and the HMS/The Ukulele Site crew featuring Mandy Harvey, who is an amazing jazz and pop singer, songwriter, and finalist on America's Got Talent. If you can believe it, Mandy has been deaf since the age of 18 years old. Unbelievable talent and truly an inspiration! Here is another song of hers called, "Release Me":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shnNoupW6GU

I've sold two ukes lately and have been refining my herd so to speak. My Moon Bird has far exceeded my expectations and has become my everyday player. I also have my KoAloha that has a very different sound to it.

I have been interested in both of these- I also prefer the concert neck. Can you talk more about how they are different??

Sorry, didn't know where to post this, and wasn't sure if I should post a new thread, but:

For all the people that saw the NAMM videos from Kanile'a and hated the green fret markers/headstock logo on their new upcoming Oha Series.
According to their website they will be using black Position markers & Logo.
I'm not sure if they changed it due to feedback, or not, but If they are indeed going to be black, then I will consider getting a soprano when they make them available.

https://www.kanileaukulele.com/shop/hawaiian-made-ukuleles/oha-series/

Sorry, didn't know where to post this, and wasn't sure if I should post a new thread, but:

For all the people that saw the NAMM videos from Kanile'a and hated the green fret markers/headstock logo on their new upcoming Oha Series.
According to their website they will be using black Position markers & Logo.
I'm not sure if they changed it due to feedback, or not, but If they are indeed going to be black, then I will consider getting a soprano when they make them available.

https://www.kanileaukulele.com/shop/hawaiian-made-ukuleles/oha-series/

Thanks for posting this. The Oha line of Kanilea is now available at HMS. And yes, the logo as well as the fret markers and side dots are now stained black (not sure how visible those will be in the dark):

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-koa-tenor-package-oha-t-19771.html

Thanks! I love Brittni's playing.

Me too. I just started trying to learn to play her version of SOTR. Her playing is so inspiring. I'll never sound like that, but will keep on trying!

Interesting (from the Kala video above) that they are changing from using Kala flouro strings, to now using Worth Browns on all new Kala Elites.

Top Bottom