Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele News from NAMM 2019

Abe Lagrimas Jr. "Africa" ukulele instrumental:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18L0ykDuN-Y

Brit Rodriguez "Maybe I'm Insane"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mucwUPEjsDs

I don't think they showed this at NAMM, but looks like KoAloha is working on their very own take of a side sound port, using their triangular Musubi shape (these might be custom orders for now, though):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtadHMChtaH/

I've watched a few youtube videos of NAMM this year and checked out a few websites, but what I've seen so far worries me greatly.
    There seems to be a great concentration on the large size ukuleles - long-neck sopranos, concerts, tenors, super tenors, baritones, etc., but I haven't seen any standard sopranos.
    I know that the Chinese market is dominated by concerts and tenors, but has that influenced the west so much? Are we going to see the sad demise of the humble soprano because Jake, James and Taimane all play the big boys?
    It's very hard to find an upmarket soprano on the Kala website too. The more expensive varieties seem to be the larger sizes.
    Please, will somebody tell me that I'm wrong?
    Ukuleles owned:-
    Laka VUC50 Soprano
    Laka LK-JBC Joe Brown Concert
    Rubin RS101 Zebrawood Soprano
    Barnes & Mullins UBJ1 Concert Banjolele
    Sinye YA26 Mahogany Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by The Pashmeister View Post
    I've watched a few youtube videos of NAMM this year and checked out a few websites, but what I've seen so far worries me greatly.
    There seems to be a great concentration on the large size ukuleles - long-neck sopranos, concerts, tenors, super tenors, baritones, etc., but I haven't seen any standard sopranos.
    I know that the Chinese market is dominated by concerts and tenors, but has that influenced the west so much? Are we going to see the sad demise of the humble soprano because Jake, James and Taimane all play the big boys?
    It's very hard to find an upmarket soprano on the Kala website too. The more expensive varieties seem to be the larger sizes.
    Please, will somebody tell me that I'm wrong?
    I think your observation may have to do with the fact that most reports from NAMM such as the ones collected in this thread focus on news and innovation which will favor all sorts of crossover instruments. One of the trends may indeed lean towards bigger sizes, while another one seems to be going even smaller than Soprano, with new brands introducing their Sopranino and Sopranissimo models. Personally, I am happy about this growing variety and don't see it as a threat to the standard size Soprano. I haven't seen any evidence of brands stopping to make Sopranos, from colorful plywood and plastic to the Hawaiian K brands who all still offer their soprano models.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Leave it to me to ask a question totally unrelated to anything the video is intended for. I loved the great performances but I had a question about the HMS guy on the far right. Is he wearing Red Wing Work Chukkas in charcoal leather?

Ok ... first of all Mike, since you brought up this question totally unrelated to anything the video was intended for - I know now that there are many of us who have inquiring minds and are eager to find out what the answer to your question is in regards to the Chukkas.

However, I MUST first identify the "HMS guy on the far right". He is none other than Joel Blechinger. He manages the setup department for HMS/The Ukulele Site with an honest and diligent work ethic like no one Andrew Kitakis has ever known. He is a crucial member of the team and has been setting up ukes full time for about 10 years now and estimates at least 30,000 setups. His natural talent for this work is a big part of what makes HMS/The Ukulele Site the best value. Joel was the head setup tech for MGM(Music Guy Mic) until MGM had to close down his physical retail store and online eBay store due to health issues. So, props go out to bruddah Joel for his stellar expertise!!!

For those of you who don't know who MGM was, he was a legend in the ukulele industry. He sold ukuleles via his retail uke shop in Kaneohe, HI and on eBay where many of us around the world were privileged to get to know him while inquiring about and/or purchasing an instrument he was selling. He has many uke demos on You Tube, even though he has since passed away. Many of us have purchased multiple ukes from him over the years. WE MISS YOU MGM!!!

Bruddah Joel contacted me this morning after I inquired about his Chukkas that he was wearing in the video. He took some time off after the NAMM Show and today is his first day back to work. With Joel's blessing, I am now going to reveal the maker of the Chukkas. Bruddah Joel, mahalo for your honest and humble response!

This is Joel's response: "I wish I had some Red Wing's in Charcoal leather ... the boots I have are some brand named "Crevo", but no way they can handle any real work. Those boots never set foot on a job site, they would disintegrate."

So, there you have it! I actually searched the Red Wing Shoes website and found a similar pair of Charcoal leather Chukkas that they make ... but IMHO, the one's that Joel has, looks WWAAAAAYYYYY better than the Red Wing Chukkas!!!

For those of you that haven't gone through the entire Thread to read through all of the posts, this is the video regarding the question totally unrelated to any uke or NAMM Show stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXqi-Kcyb2w

Aloha and have a great weekend!!!
    Last edited by slackkey007; 02-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slackkey007 View Post
    However, I MUST first identify the "HMS guy on the far right". He is none other than Joel Blechinger.
    AKA "Smooth Joel"
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by slackkey007 View Post
    Ok ... first of all Mike, since you brought up this question totally unrelated to anything the video was intended for - I know now that there are many of us who have inquiring minds and are eager to find out what the answer to your question is in regards to the Chukkas.

However, I MUST first identify the "HMS guy on the far right". He is none other than Joel Blechinger. He manages the setup department for HMS/The Ukulele Site with an honest and diligent work ethic like no one Andrew Kitakis has ever known. He is a crucial member of the team and has been setting up ukes full time for about 10 years now and estimates at least 30,000 setups. His natural talent for this work is a big part of what makes HMS/The Ukulele Site the best value. Joel was the head setup tech for MGM(Music Guy Mic) until MGM had to close down his physical retail store and online eBay store due to health issues. So, props go out to bruddah Joel for his stellar expertise!!!

For those of you who don't know who MGM was, he was a legend in the ukulele industry. He sold ukuleles via his retail uke shop in Kaneohe, HI and on eBay where many of us around the world were privileged to get to know him while inquiring about and/or purchasing an instrument he was selling. He has many uke demos on You Tube, even though he has since passed away. Many of us have purchased multiple ukes from him over the years. WE MISS YOU MGM!!!

Bruddah Joel contacted me this morning after I inquired about his Chukkas that he was wearing in the video. He took some time off after the NAMM Show and today is his first day back to work. With Joel's blessing, I am now going to reveal the maker of the Chukkas. Bruddah Joel, mahalo for your honest and humble response!

This is Joel's response: "I wish I had some Red Wing's in Charcoal leather ... the boots I have are some brand named "Crevo", but no way they can handle any real work. Those boots never set foot on a job site, they would disintegrate."

So, there you have it! I actually searched the Red Wing Shoes website and found a similar pair of Charcoal leather Chukkas that they make ... but IMHO, the one's that Joel has, looks WWAAAAAYYYYY better than the Red Wing Chukkas!!!

Aloha and have a great weekend!!!
    Ha ha and wow! At this point I didn't expect a response to my question at all so this was quite a surprise! Thank you for the response and for your introduction of Joel. He's got quite the ukulele resume!

This is what I thought he might be wearing. I liked the look of what Joel was wearing and wondered if they were Red Wings and if that's what they might look like when they were broken in. I'm in the market for a pair but I like what Joel was wearing too. They look pretty similar.
    Red Wing chukka.jpg
    Last edited by mikelz777; 02-08-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Ohana CK-42R concert - all-solid, sinker redwood top, rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Kala KA-ZCT-C - all-laminate ziricote, walnut fretboard, satin neck
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    Ha ha and wow! At this point I didn't expect a response to my question at all so this was quite a surprise! Thank you for the response and for your introduction of Joel. He's got quite the ukulele resume!

This is what I thought he might be wearing. I liked the look of what Joel was wearing and wondered if they were Red Wings and if that's what they might look like when they were broken in. I'm in the market for a pair but I like what Joel was wearing too. They look pretty similar.
    Red Wing chukka.jpg
    Would this picture qualify it for a NSD.........New Shoe Day
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Would this picture qualify it for a NSD.........New Shoe Day
    I'm hoping for a NUD and a NSD in my future. Neither one will be cheap!
    Ohana CK-42R concert - all-solid, sinker redwood top, rosewood back and sides, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid acacia, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Kala KA-ZCT-C - all-laminate ziricote, walnut fretboard, satin neck
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)

Thread Information