Ukulele News from NAMM 2019

With this year's NAMM show coming to an end, I'm curious to hear what everybody liked best? Did you make out any trending topics?

I think one trend can bee seen in beveled armrests. Kanilea is doing a very subtle bevel, while other brands such as Rebel or Mauloa use more of a Laskin type armrest that is somewhat more obtrusive.

Still trending are mini basses, it seems, with new concepts being added from makers such as Mauloa or Cordoba, while others just copy the original U-Bass from Kala.

For the second year in a row, I am most impressed by the innovation coming from Romero Creations. I really like those three different Guilele or Mini Guitar models, as well as their idea of extending the concept of the Grand Tenor to the Concert and Soprano size.

Kanilea is introducing some nice things as well: a Pineapple tenor with very cool design elements, their new affordable Oha line, and their new cases. My personal favorite from them would be the KSR-T with a slim slotted headstock, Gotoh Stealth tuners, and a very subtle armrest. Their new bracing seems to work really well, and I bet a lot of players will love that they now use a silk finish on the neck instead of the gloss.

Seems like Rebel is getting a lot more attention, with vendors such as Mim and Southern Ukulele Store in the UK deciding to carry them. Another relatively unknown brand that has been very well received is Mauloa.

What are your impressions and favorites?

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially those who added their own videos and pictures!

You all must be blind looking at that many ukes. Looks like it was fun.

Kohanmike.......thank you for all those pictures. You have great photography skills, they are beautiful. How did you like the wall of bass ukes?

Attribute that to minoring in photography in college 47 years ago, and for the last 10 years as the staff photographer for the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic/Big Band of Barristers/Legal Voices Chorus.

I always like bass ukes, but there aren't enough at 23" scale, my comfort size. Although a Japanese company Hosco was showing a solid body 23" scale bass, Tiny Boy Bass, but it's not available yet and it's over priced, they say around $600 when they get US distribution.

Tiny Bass dark flame.jpg

Still trending are mini basses, it seems, with new concepts being added from makers such as Mauloa or Cordoba, while others just copy the original U-Bass from Kala.

I've seen the Mauloa on AliExpress for a long time, to me they're like the Kala because of the scale. I don't know how I missed the Cordoba. I see they have a 22.9" scale acoustic guitar, I assume they made that into a bass. Yes, I just looked it up, good pricing, but they don't have it in cutaway like the guitar.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
With this year's NAMM show coming to an end, I'm curious to hear what everybody liked best? Did you make out any trending topics?

I think one trend can bee seen in beveled armrests. Kanilea is doing a very subtle bevel, while other brands such as Rebel or Mauloa use more of a Laskin type armrest that is somewhat more obtrusive.

For the second year in a row, I am most impressed by the innovation coming from Romero Creations. I really like those three different Guilele or Mini Guitar models, as well as their idea of extending the concept of the Grand Tenor to the Concert and Soprano size.

Kanilea is introducing some nice things as well: a Pineapple tenor with very cool design elements, their new affordable Oha line, and their new cases. My personal favorite from them would be the KSR-T with a slim slotted headstock, Gotoh Stealth tuners, and a very subtle armrest. Their new bracing seems to work really well, and I bet a lot of players will love that they now use a silk finish on the neck instead of the gloss.

Seems like Rebel is getting a lot more attention, with vendors such as Mim and Southern Ukulele Store in the UK deciding to carry them. Another relatively unknown brand that has been very well received is Mauloa.

What are your impressions and favorites?

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially those who added their own videos and pictures!

I may be biased because of my intense interest in the Kanile'a pineapple and the Romero Creations D Ho 6, but it seems like the pineapple and pineapple-inspired shapes are trending for larger instruments and for higher end niches. Maybe there would need to be another builder or two making a similar offering for it to qualify as a trend.

I've seen the Mauloa on AliExpress for a long time, to me they're like the Kala because of the scale.

Yes I know, those are the ones you find with a Google search. However, in this video, you'll see and hear a totally different model with a bevel cutaway, gloss finish, a lot of bling, and probably a longer scale (starting at 32:29):

https://youtu.be/OLFiElwJUcI?t=1949

Last edited:
I always like the Magic Fluke stuff. Did anyone go to the booth? Are there any videos?

I am quite distracted by the level of bling on these "new" Mauloa and Rebel brands. Call me old fashioned, but I think that bling belongs only on the highest end models of a line when all other options that lead to improvements of playing comfort and sound, and quality of materials are already maximized. And I actually prefer the understated look of the plain Kamaka ukes. So seeing this level of bling on what I consider budget entry level ukes is just very confusing to me. But I assume that younger generations really dig it and think it looks great.

I always like the Magic Fluke stuff. Did anyone go to the booth? Are there any videos?

Hi fowl: now that you mention it I didn't see Magic Fluke at the show. Normally you would see all the major players at the same location every year. I didn't see Magic Fluke at their normal location. Either they moved their booth to a different location, or they did not exhibit this year, or I was blind.

I've seen the Mauloa on AliExpress for a long time, to me they're like the Kala because of the scale. I don't know how I missed the Cordoba.

Mike: did you get a chance to go to the 2nd level? Cordoba shared a room with Guild on the 2nd level. Maybe that's how you missed it.

Yes I know, those are the ones you find with a Google search. However, in this video, you'll see and hear a totally different model with a bevel cutaway, gloss finish, a lot of bling, and probably a longer scale (starting at 32:29):
Aha, looks like an entire new line. Nice looking and steel string, but might be too big for me.

Either they moved their booth to a different location, or they did not exhibit this year, or I was blind.
I talked to them last week, they did not attend this year.

I am quite distracted by the level of bling on these "new" Mauloa and Rebel brands. Call me old fashioned, but I think that bling belongs only on the highest end models of a line when all other options that lead to improvements of playing comfort and sound, and quality of materials are already maximized. And I actually prefer the understated look of the plain Kamaka ukes. So seeing this level of bling on what I consider budget entry level ukes is just very confusing to me. But I assume that younger generations really dig it and think it looks great.
I'm 69 and I think they look great, in fact, my guess is they are high end.

Mike: did you get a chance to go to the 2nd level? Cordoba shared a room with Guild on the 2nd level. Maybe that's how you missed it.
I did, and saw that booth but didn't stop in.

Last edited:

I think that rebel with the red rosette is fairly high end. It appears to be an updated livingston, which hms was selling at $2.7k.

TBH, I don't like the sliding port hole. Seems like something that might buzz, and open/closing it will likely put wear on the finish.

Don't get me wrong... i love rebel, and own two. They sound great imho.

If you like simpler, that mago concert rebel is super clean/simple and also sounds great.

Are the UU guys like Aldrine not at the show this year. I have not seen a post from them and usually they do a daily summary? Their interviews are always great.

I do like HSM guys posted also.

I'm 69 and I think they look great, in fact, my guess is they are high end.

I didn't watch all the videos or read all comments, but had the impression that Mauloa was mainly a supplier to many other brands and is now stepping up. The German video stated that all but one ukulele were in the $500 to 600 range, which for me is far from high end. They seem to have quite a few "Koa" models but it is not clear if this Hawaiian or locally sourced Chinese Koa. As for Rebel, I think there was some mention that they are the Thai supplier of overseas KoAloha ukuleles, that also just launched as their own brand. So I figured they would more options at the Opio levels and not compete with the Hawaiian KoAlohas. But I am sure we will learn more about the specific prices soon.

Top Bottom