Anyone here a member of a St. Louis uke group?

boojiboo

Reaction score
I'm aware of two ukulele groups in St. Louis, but I have no idea what either is like...I've thought of showing up at a meeting, but I'd kind of like to have an idea of what to expect before I decide to do that. :)

I just picked up the ukulele last Spring, and didn't look for a group until recently. I found a certain StL group's FB page but have been very dissapointed. I know because of COVID that they probably weren't meeting in person (nor did I want to) but there is almost no interaction on FB. No conversation, no answering of questions, and no mention that they were meeting on Zoom. How was a newbie to know that? You would have had to know the certain guy to email. Sheesh.

I have asked several questions and tried to start discussion on the FB page to get a feel for the group, but have gotten crickets. They will resume playing in person next week (aha! a FB post finally) but I can't make that one.

I may attend a meeting since it is close to my work, but I'm admittedly going in with apprehension. I may be reading this completely wrong, but I can't help feeling that it's a tight clique and I may not be welcome.

If you have found a group in StL to play with, or would like to go to the meeting I'm talking about, shoot me a message here and we can show up together.

Judy

I remember that Fazio's music store in Ellisville used to host an ukulele group. If you are near there you could give Fazio's a call to ask whether it is active.

I remember that Fazio's music store in Ellisville used to host an ukulele group. If you are near there you could give Fazio's a call to ask whether it is active.
Are you in StL? Do you have experience with either of these groups??

I called Fazio's- the organizer of the ukulele group that used to meet there moved out of town so and they don't do ukulele-specific group now.

There is a group called Ukulele Fight Club of Greater St. Louis that has an active FB page. They were going to have an in-person session in Feb, but the weather was bad. Looks like they will resume in-person sessions soon. If the day & time works for me, I may try them

I grew up in Ballwin, but moved to Tennessee in the 70s. I occasionally visit my Dad who is still in Ballwin, and we occasionally visit Fazio’s. No, I don’t have personal experience with any ukulele groups in that area.

Sorry to hear that the Fazio’s group has fizzled.

I grew up in Ballwin, but moved to Tennessee in the 70s. I occasionally visit my Dad who is still in Ballwin, and we occasionally visit Fazio’s. No, I don’t have personal experience with any ukulele groups in that area.

Sorry to hear that the Fazio’s group has fizzled.
The guy at Fazio's was good enough to spend a few minutes telling me what he knew about the club so that was nice. I've never been in that store so I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way.

I just picked up the ukulele last Spring, and didn't look for a group until recently. I found a certain StL group's FB page but have been very dissapointed. I know because of COVID that they probably weren't meeting in person (nor did I want to) but there is almost no interaction on FB. No conversation, no answering of questions, and no mention that they were meeting on Zoom. How was a newbie to know that? You would have had to know the certain guy to email. Sheesh.

I have asked several questions and tried to start discussion on the FB page to get a feel for the group, but have gotten crickets. They will resume playing in person next week (aha! a FB post finally) but I can't make that one.

I may attend a meeting since it is close to my work, but I'm admittedly going in with apprehension. I may be reading this completely wrong, but I can't help feeling that it's a tight clique and I may not be welcome.

If you have found a group in StL to play with, or would like to go to the meeting I'm talking about, shoot me a message here and we can show up together.

Judy
OK, so here is an update.

I went to a practice session of the group with the almost-dead FB page. They were very nice! They welcomed me right away, one lady had me sit next to her and share her book and several others chatted with me during the evening. They had a amplified bass player, which helped keep time.

The group seems to be aimed an beginner-level players, and the group is mostly older folks but they are super nice and there is lots of giggling and teasing going on. I'll probably stick around for a while and in the meantime look for a group that is more advanced so I can learn more.

:)

Top Bottom