Sopranos! What to cover when comparing..

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have collected a few sopranos and am currently slowing stringing them up with same set of martin m600 strings to do a comparison.
Here is my impression going in
1. Ken Timms (Oct 18): "Barky", loud, strong on the higher side of the sound spectrum. Trebly. Joy to wake up some one from sleep
2. Martin Style 3 Centennial: Less "Barky", loud, stronger across the sound spectrum and a joy to play softly as well but Ken Timms is the one you want to hammer the uke away..
3. Martin Style 3 Koa (2013): Similar to the martin above but slightly sweeter.
4. Tinguitar (khaya): Sweetest of them all but not barky at all. More closer to a modern sound (guitarish?) than a barky soprano. Great to put some one into a relaxed mood.
5. 1928 1k: Need to bring it out of the case..

Question: What you want to know? How would you compare? I plan to record sound samples as well, any specific aspect to focus on (i am not taking requests as I cannot play that well.. but input welcome)..

Last edited:
That is quite a project. It's too late to ask, but did you make recordings of each uke before changing the strings?

I don't have specific questions, but I look forward to your opinions on each. Don't fluorocarbon strings exert more tension on the instrument - tuners and bridge?

To be clear I am going to go over them more thoroughly.. those were my initial reactions.

Top Bottom