Bad strap button install

joewee

Reaction score
I made a dumb dumb mistake attaching a button to my ukulele in the wrong location. I meant to attach it to the underside of the neck and mistakenly drilling it into the top. Should I try to undue, fill the hole and move the button to the other side? Or leave it as is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 82
Have you tried playing it as it is? If it is actually in the way for your style of playing, move it and fill in the hole.

Have you tried playing it as it is? If it is actually in the way for your style of playing, move it and fill in the hole.

Playing it. It’s. Not in the way at all. Wasn’t sure if there was a structural benefit to having it on the underside.

My only concern is that the strap might pull off more easily, but if it’s seems secure and plays well, go with it.

My only concern is that the strap might pull off more easily, but if it’s seems secure and plays well, go with it.

That makes sense. With this strap it’s tight. I’ll lesve it as is for now so I don’t have to risk a structural issue drilling another hole.

I agree that this would be the only issue, especially after the strap is put on and taken off a number of times. Because a ukulele and is so light it isn’t going to fall as easy as if the button was installed on a guitar, but I think it will probably come off the uke eventually.

You can always get strap locks but they are overkill for a typical ukulele button installation. If you have a hardware store close by that has bins of various nuts, bolts, screws and clips, you “might” make a poor man’s strap lock using an “e” clip. Find one large enough that will stay on the button and keep the strap from coming off it may do the trick. They can be a bit of a pain to remove, but if you keep the strap on all the time that won’t be an issue.

John

Simple solution! - just restring it and learn to play left-handed.
No, really, advantage of having button on the underside is that the angle of the strap bending around the heel of the neck at a right angle means any pull on the button is sideways - not vertical (as in your current set-up) and is less likely to slip up and off.
That's very important for heavy instruments, but may not be a problem for you.
On the subject of "unexpected woodworking outcomes"... I had to drill several 10mm holes into 5cm (2 inch) thick pinewood once; I had accidentally turned the drill on to reverse, then thought that the drill bit had suddenly gone blunt. So I persisted with blunt force and friction and got four of them done before realising what was wrong.

One more option, move the strap to the headstock and just have the extra strap button there...

A very simple strap button lock can be made from a plumbing washer. I have a cone shaped one holding the strap on my Ovation though a flat one tyhe right size would work as well, whatever you have on hand or can find.

John

I say it's going to be no problem at all, very little if any chance the strap will slip off.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

That's actually where I would put a neck button.

I have had straps where the hole has loosened over time, and became less secure. Where you have the button placed, it would want to slip off more easily. My straps are all leather and I usually leave one on each instrument and secure both ends with rubber washers (if you want to remove your strap each time though, they would be a pain). I’m sure you can find them in the hardware store but Fender makes them too and they can be had at your friendly online retailer (apparently Grolsch beer has these very same washer and they have been used by many a guitar player for a long time).

If your curent strap is working fine for you and is secure, I’d leave well enough alone. If it’s not secure and you don’t want to do the washer thing cuz you like to remove your strap regularly, I’d suggest a Bailey strap. it has a simple leather toggle thingey at each end and would be secure, no matter where your button is placed and it’s easy to take on and off quickly.

I've removed neck button on my ukulele. I don't mind. I even forget the hole.

If it were mine, I would take it out, stick a toothpick with some glue on it into the hole and cut it flush when it dried. Then maybe try to stain it close to the color of the neck, and tie my strap off at the headstock, where I prefer it anyway. Why make things harder than they have to be? Either that, or, I would put it where it is supposed to be. Regardless, I would never be happy with it in the wrong place like that.

Apparently, I can post again!

Klos puts their buttons on the upper half of the body, but that's less likely to have the strap pull off the button. If you don't like it there, leave it where it is and put another button on the lower part of the neck. Better to have two buttons that a button and a hole.

Klos Strap Button.jpg

Top Bottom