Mind Control: The A=440Hz conspiracy

I didn't watch the video in the opening, but I've got about 20 years experience in bands and orchestras, so I feel pretty confident chiming in.

Many music groups today tune to A440 because that's the current "accepted" state of the note. But it's all marketing. I once had a gig where the conductor wanted us to tune to A442 because it made us sound - and this is a quote - "sparkle-ier". Personally, I wouldn't call it a conspiracy; but to each their own.

The pitch has slowly risen over the years; sort of like the musical equivalent of currency inflation.

I didn't watch the video in the opening, but I've got about 20 years experience in bands and orchestras, so I feel pretty confident chiming in.

Many music groups today tune to A440 because that's the current "accepted" state of the note. But it's all marketing. I once had a gig where the conductor wanted us to tune to A442 because it made us sound - and this is a quote - "sparkle-ier". Personally, I wouldn't call it a conspiracy; but to each their own.

The pitch has slowly risen over the years; sort of like the musical equivalent of currency inflation.

One thing I was always told was that if you are going to be out of tune, be out of tune sharp because people won't notice it as much. Guess they will think it's sparkly. I can see how changing the frequency of A could be used to help set the tone of a piece but I wonder how many people in the audience would notice.

John

A long time ago I read something that said the dial tone on phones in France were 440 and could be used for tuning.

Anyone know if that’s true?

A long time ago I read something that said the dial tone on phones in France were 440 and could be used for tuning.

Anyone know if that’s true?

Interesting, Jeff, as I remember from my younger days that our old "landline" dial tone was a perfect "F", which was also nice as a tuning reference, in a pinch!

Actually, the uke is equal tempered, not well tempered (though equal temperament is a specific form of well temperament). Well temperament means that some compromise pitch between enharmonic pitches (like #F and Gb) is chosen, allowing both to be played with the same key, fret or fingering. It does not imply that all semitone (or other) intervals are "the same size" (i.e. have the same frequency ratio between pitches), as in equal temperament. Even Bach's well-tempered keyboards were tuned in a manner that gave each scale a different sound; they weren't just frequency-shifted replicas, in the manner of modern keyboards (and ukes). His lutes, on the other hand, may well have been equal-tempered.

Unless it's a bass.

Whether such "sweetenings" are actually improvements on instruments designed for equal temperament (and only equal temperament) is highly dubious. I find that "sweetening" does more harm than good, particularly on ukes. But this has all been hashed out before, several times.

Or lowered. I was just reading today about tunings for lutes, vihuelas and the like. The author mentioned how many of the tunings were actually higher than those used nowadays. The vihuela, though mostly "matching" guitar tuning, was often tuned as much as a fourth higher than the modern guitar, the Renaissance guitar was mostly tuned about a third higher. Universal tuning standards had yet to be established, and tablature does not fix a key by itself—for instance, Luis de Milán simply directed that the top string be tuned as high as possible. But I realize the original article centers on more universal standardized pitches in more modern times, not on the insidious conspiracy to lower tunings on fretted instruments.

Maybe it's just that we live life at a higher, less relaxed frequency these days. Ironically, since we tend to be increasing in size, our voices have been lowering, so by all logic, reference pitches ought to be drifting down rather than up—so perhaps there is a conspiracy, and I suspect the Helium Consortium.*

Whatever the case, when I tried A=432, I found too much discord between my chi, my aura and the crystal pyramid vibrations, while my theta waves went totally epsilon, so I took some aspirin, did some yoga asanas in my magic underpants and returned to A=440. I think that answers the original question and, for me at least, debunks the theory that modern tuning is out of harmony with the cosmos. I'm more concerned with whether the reference pitch is in tune with power line frequencies and microwave signals, which surely have more effect on us than weak cosmic background noise from sources unimaginably distant.

* To avoid the spread of misinformation (and angry letters from Mrs Trellis of North Wales), I must mention that helium only changes vocal timbre, not pitch, but the popular belief is otherwise, and I didn't want to step on my own joke too soon. Similarly, to the best of my knowledge, the real HELIUM consortium has nothing at all to do with the controlled distribution of inert gases, apart from occasional bloviation.

I enjoyed this comment and found the information helpful. :)

<snip> ... for instance, Luis de Milán simply directed that the top string be tuned as high as possible.

Tune until the string breaks or the bridge comes off, then back off a quarter turn.

HERE is the oh-so-scientific debunking of the conspiracy. The moral, here, is: to properly tune your uke, you MUST get at least a 3.5 in differential calculus (NOT integral -- differential!)

So... the next time you tune your ukulele: WHO you gonna call?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But seriously, folks, do you tune A440 or A432? Why? Why not?

I’d call a luthier since it is impossible to tune a ukulele to just intonation/temperament that has been made to accommodate equal temperament.

This is a good video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Xks32A-aU

432hz in “equal temperament” is of no direct value as it merely results in de-tuning by about 25 cents; I’ve tuned my uke down to 432hz just to hear it. To me it is just lower. The best acoustic sound is probably not limited to any particular hz in equal temperament, but to the specific hz that best matches each particular ukulele build. If a particular ukulele sounds best at different hertz, in equal temperament, the 432/440 discussion is somewhat meaningless.

I actually tune my ukuleles to Bb, B, and C based on 440hz-A. It allows me to find the best tone, within 440hz limitations, for each ukulele and I can use a Planet Waves capo if I play with others.

John

Last edited:
I do find these talks interesting. Ubu also managed to put a funny post this time.
I think the difference between 440 and 432 hertzes is something like about 32 cents instead 25 cents, so way off.

What I don't like is that my Yamaha recorder is I think based on 444 Hz. So that is like almost 16 cents too sharp for 440 Hz standard. And you know guys blowing in the recorder the higher the pitch is more you blow ;)

I haven’t finished reading the entirety of the OP’s links (very long and interesting) and I certainly don’t understand it all but this bit sumed it up for a layperson like me, especially when you consider the source of the “controversy.”

The Story Behind Scientific pitch

The Scientific pitch was first proposed in 1713 by French physicist Joseph Sauveur (and thus is also sometimes called Sauveur pitch), promoted briefly by Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi in the 19th century (why its sometimes called Verdi pitch), and then advocated by the Schiller Institute beginning in the 1980s (as a conspiracy theory). 432 Hz (plus scientific) is thought of as more symmetric, as we noted below, but reasoning for promoting it differs with each advocate.

The Schiller Institute Versus the Beatles

Since the 80’s scientific pitch been the subject of many conspiracy theories, in no small part due to the very controversial Schiller Institute, which has been its main promoter.

Lyndon LaRouche, the leader of the Institute, claims among other things, that concert pitch, rock music, and acts like the Beatles were “a product shaped according to British Psychological Warfare Division specifications”. Specifically, he claimed that the asymmetric waveform of 440 Hz was being used in a negative fashion to “depress” society.

So Is 440Hz a Conspiracy?

While The writer agrees that 432Hz (plus scientific) has merit, he found no evidence that 440Hz (plus just intonation) was chosen for any malicious reason. Rather, it seems much more like it was chosen and stuck to for two reasons 1. because it works for all of western music and is practical, and 2. the same reason that us Americans use Feet and Inches (cause’; we picked a standard and we are sticking with it).

TIP: Some charge that 440Hz (plus just intonation) has roots with NAZI or British psychological warfare. However, both these conspiracy theories ignore the history of the tuning debate and the fact that 432Hz (plus scientific) produces a ton of disharmony itself (even if only when specific chords and intervals are played). So its not like 432Hz (plus scientific) is completely harmonious in every situation. How often is music just comprised of single notes?

This probably isn't on point, but this discussion has reminded me of how things were back in the late 60's and early 70's, when my 3 brothers and I started a band.
We used two guitars, a bass, and drums. Looking back, I'm not really sure where in the "Hz" spectrum we might've been tuned. In fact, it's very likely that we were tuning slightly higher or slightly lower from one gig to the next, without really being aware of it. We didn't have any tangible point of "universal" reference such as a pitch pipe or electronic tuner. We just kind of tuned to where it felt about right, and then made doubly sure we were all in tune with each other, and all was well !! It's funny how nowadays, 50 years later, as a ukulele player, I constantly check to make sure I'm tuned to the level dictated by my Snark clip-on tuner, even though I'm almost always playing by myself !!

I haven’t finished reading the entirety of the OP’s links (very long and interesting) and I certainly don’t understand it all but this bit sumed it up for a layperson like me, especially when you consider the source of the “controversy.”

The Story Behind Scientific pitch

The Scientific pitch was first proposed in 1713 by French physicist Joseph Sauveur (and thus is also sometimes called Sauveur pitch), promoted briefly by Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi in the 19th century (why its sometimes called Verdi pitch), and then advocated by the Schiller Institute beginning in the 1980s (as a conspiracy theory). 432 Hz (plus scientific) is thought of as more symmetric, as we noted below, but reasoning for promoting it differs with each advocate.

The Schiller Institute Versus the Beatles

Since the 80’s scientific pitch been the subject of many conspiracy theories, in no small part due to the very controversial Schiller Institute, which has been its main promoter.

Lyndon LaRouche, the leader of the Institute, claims among other things, that concert pitch, rock music, and acts like the Beatles were “a product shaped according to British Psychological Warfare Division specifications”. Specifically, he claimed that the asymmetric waveform of 440 Hz was being used in a negative fashion to “depress” society.

So Is 440Hz a Conspiracy?

While The writer agrees that 432Hz (plus scientific) has merit, he found no evidence that 440Hz (plus just intonation) was chosen for any malicious reason. Rather, it seems much more like it was chosen and stuck to for two reasons 1. because it works for all of western music and is practical, and 2. the same reason that us Americans use Feet and Inches (cause’; we picked a standard and we are sticking with it).

TIP: Some charge that 440Hz (plus just intonation) has roots with NAZI or British psychological warfare. However, both these conspiracy theories ignore the history of the tuning debate and the fact that 432Hz (plus scientific) produces a ton of disharmony itself (even if only when specific chords and intervals are played). So its not like 432Hz (plus scientific) is completely harmonious in every situation. How often is music just comprised of single notes?

Can you share a link to the source of this above text? Thanks! :)

I do find these talks interesting. Ubu also managed to put a funny post this time.
I think the difference between 440 and 432 hertzes is something like about 32 cents instead 25 cents, so way off.

Actually all I did was calibrate my IMT tuner to 432 and tuned my uke down. I then re-set it to 440 and the digital tuner needle looked to be around 25cents flat. If it is really 32, or 22, or 42 it makes no difference.

Bill’s post about playing in the 60’s and 70’s is so right on. We did the same thing unless there was a piano close by. Then we got “closer”. And today I also use a clip on tuner religiously on my ukulele.

John

Allegedly in the 19th century orchestras were tuning higher and higher to get a better sound, hence the tuning forks in higher ranges. This became a problem for singers who couldnt be tuned up and had trouble with fewer and fewer singers being able to hit the high notes. Some sort of standardisation was needed to stop the High A Tuning arms race.

Arguably, tuning now is even more important with multi-track recording. In the past an orchestra needed to be only in tune with itself. But now it needs to be in tune for someone to come back later and record an additional track. Even a humble youtuber (is there such a thing?) needs to have the same tuning day to day on their single instrument,.

One thing left out of this discussion was that at the time of setting the international standard, which i think was originally 1939 rather than 1956, the BBC were only able to generate tones at certain frequencies. I read somewhere this was a limitation in their dials (needing whole numbers not decimal places and 440 being more divisible than 432 into whole numbers) but below link talks about the division of piezo crystal frequency.

https://www.wam.hr/sadrzaj/us/Cavanagh_440Hz.pdf

also http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2017/10/a440-tuning-standard-feature

In the digital age this wouldn't matter because we can choose 437.32 as the standard if we want but in the analog age whole numbers were more important for a window of time.

Purely by coincidence, I was looking for a pitch practicing app in the iOS store to help improve my "ear". I thought I found one based on establishing pitch memory that would work well, until I realized that the whole thing was built around just tuning. Had I not read this thread a couple of days prior, I could have actually done myself a disservice in using that app.

Many European countries use a different concert pitch of either 442 Hz, 443 Hz, or 444 Hz instead of 440 Hz. Would that make Europeans more or less aggressive than those nations who are constantly exposed to 440 Hz? :confused:

I've been tuning my uke to A=440h for more than twenty years and have never felt the urge to march on Poland.

John Colter.

Top Bottom