question about humidifying

boojiboo

Reaction score
I've read that you can't effectively humidify a uke in a plain gig bag and need to keep it in a hard case to get the full benefit...is a polyfoam "hard" case sufficient for that? Or does it need to be an actual hardshell case?

A hard case will hold in the humidity best. Next best is a polyfoam case, the zipper closure lets some humidity escape. They are not bad you just have to refill your humidifier more often. The gig bag is the least efficient in holding in moisture. You can always put the uke and case in a garbage and that will keep it air tight.

I keep my ukes in clear jumbo Ziploc storage bags, whether in hardshell cases, gig bags, foam cases or no case at all. Each bag has a small ziploc sandwich bag punched full of holes and taped on the inside up near the closure. A half kitchen sponge, dampened goes inside the sandwich bag. With indoor humidity in the 20% range all winter, the bags are an inexpensive way to keep them safely hydrated.

7068-145141324112018 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I've made a humidifier out of a plastic bottle and sponges soaked in distilled water and use that for my cheapy starter uke; I've ordered a "real" humidifier for my new Ohana. Humidity (rather, lack thereof) should only be a problem in the winter here, fortunately.

I started making humidifiers out of plastic test tubes and water beads and was going to start selling them as a craft hobby. The problem is that tax laws have changed and you now are required to pay sales tax in every state that you make a sale—and most states expect you to have paperwork on record. Ugh. I’m not sure how companies like Etsy are going to survive, as they leave taxes in the seller’s hands.

At any rate, I have been keeping a 10ml and a 50ml homemade humidifier in my cases and gigbags, positioning the 10ml right over the soundhole, resting on the strings. They are doing their jobs; after two weeks I need to charge the humidifiers again, particularly the 10ml models. The location above the soundhole seems to work best, even better than inside the soundhole! (based on the size of the water beads). The 50ml humidifiers don’t need much attention after two weeks.

I can make a humidifier for less than a dollar and now have them in all of my ukuleles, with the exception of my Outdoor Ukuleles.

I don’t see any difference in absorption between hard cases or gig bags, and I let the ukuleles on the wall (with a humidifier stuck through the strings, as I can’t keep the humidifier on the strings) show me when it is time to charge all of the humidifiers.

I also like plastic coin containers for humidifiers, as they drill more smoothly than test tube plastic—but they cost more.

Great idea. I guess even a baggie would work.

I’ve made a couple of humidifiers out of plastic film containers (who here is old enough to remember film?) and moisture crystals from the garden center. I created holes by heating the tip of a large safety pin with a lighter. It’s quick and easy, the holes are consistent, and they’re small enough that the crystals can’t fall out even if they dry out completely.

I’ve made a couple of humidifiers out of plastic film containers (who here is old enough to remember film?) and moisture crystals from the garden center. I created holes by heating the tip of a large safety pin with a lighter. It’s quick and easy, the holes are consistent, and they’re small enough that the crystals can’t fall out even if they dry out completely.

Not only do I remember film, I remember when those film containers were aluminum :D

Top Bottom