Ortega K1 Sopranino

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
https://ortegaguitars.com/products/ukuleles-guitarleles/#filter=&sorting=&dir= Scroll down to 'New Products Only'. I refer to the K1 range.

"As the sopranino size is quite smaller in scale than a soprano we recommend to use A D F# B (our standard ) or D G E A tuning. This helps to bring the right tension to the strings for a sweet sound!"

Could folk give an opinion on these new Ortega sopraninos?

Maybe they are so new that nobody has one. A well known UK shop / mail order company will take orders immediately for delivery on 27th to 29th March. The price is £53 in the shop.
The currency exchange rate can fluctuate up and down a little with each passing minute.
For £53 in dollars at the current rate click here.

For £53 in euros at the current rate click here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up. I'd quite like a sopranino again myself. I see LoveUkes in Bristol stock Ortega (but not that one yet). When I'm ready I might see if they'll have one I can try.

As far as I know, these were just introduced at NAMM and not yet available.

Yes, I think it's a quite early to expect items from last week's NAMM to be immediately available.

As per historical observation of past NAMM events, unless the maker says "shipping now" at the show, it can usually be 3-4 months before the item hits retail distribution.

Another except to this of course is if they are showing a prototype model, and then it's anybody's guess if it will ever come to market.

In this case, they had a wall of them--they all had a turtle on them. Southern Ukulele Store did a video with these in the background, and seemed quite keen on the price point--as well as in the Hydra dual neck ukulele.

Cracks me up the Ortega guy demoed the Sopranino w/ "MMM Bop".

BTW, so many recommend tuning 'Niños up, but transposing something tuned a half to step & a half is just not worth the effort, IMO.
Use the right strings (might need to "fish around") could make them playable w/o tuning up.

Wondering when these Ortegas will end up available in the US & at what price point. Could buy from Europe but not sure a laminate is worth it.

Wondering when these Ortegas will end up available in the US & at what price point. Could buy from Europe but not sure a laminate is worth it.

The sign behind them seems to say, "$69." If that is MSRP, I'd expect to see them on the street for $50 to $55. That's fair for what is really a "specialty" ukulele, and as Alex from SUS stated, Ohana has really held the market on Sopraninos with a much more expensive laminate.

I have 2 sopraninos and one sopranissimo. I run the Fremont Hard Blacks on them to increase tension so I can keep the instruments in C. I totally understand why people tune them up a whole step or more.

Top Bottom