Sopranos with 1 7/16 nut width?

13down

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any decent sopranos with nut widths of 1 7/16 inches or more?

I already know of the Kiwaya Famous series, some of which have wide nuts, but that is all. Curious which other ukes, other than the obvious option of custom builds, have nut widths of 1 7/16 or more? (in mm that would be 36mm)

Kanilea's budget line ukes, named Islander, have 1.5" nut width. I've had 2 Famous sopranos that were both 37mm, currently have an FS-1 that's 36mm, and previously had a Kiwaya KTS-4 which was a disappointing 35mm. Some Oscar Schmidt ukes supposedly go as high as 1.75". Vintage Martins, the gold standard of sopranos, are usually 36mm.

Last edited:
So frustrating about the Kts4. I almost got one a little while back before discovering how narrow the nut was. Also very good to know about the Martins.

pretty sure most of Peter Hurney's (Pohaku) instruments are 1.7/16.

my Bruko No. 6 reads 36.21 mm at the nut.

I believe KoAloha are all 36mm. My concert is 36mm. My aNueNue concert is also 36mm, so their sopranos might be as well.

I measure 35.8 mm on my KTS-4.

I am curious if maybe you have an earlier/different model of the kts4?

I have inquired with sellers about the nut width on that uke. However all of the ones I have seen for sale are, I think, the second generation of it. Ebony fingerboard and gotoh UPT tuners. I think there were older, different ones that had a rosewood (or ovankol, or pau ferro) fingerboard and friction tuners.

I am curious if maybe you have an earlier/different model of the kts4?

I have inquired with sellers about the nut width on that uke. However all of the ones I have seen for sale are, I think, the second generation of it. Ebony fingerboard and gotoh UPT tuners. I think there were older, different ones that had a rosewood (or ovankol, or pau ferro) fingerboard and friction tuners.

Mine is serial #734, has a what appears to be a rosewood fretboard, and has friction tuners. I'm not sure what year it was made.

I just got a Kiwaya KS-1, 14 fret, serial #94 and the nut width measures 36.53mm. I notice this laminated wood soprano is larger in nearly every respect than the solid wood KTS-4. Hard to measure precisely, but the scale appears to be as much as 3/16th" longer. The wider nut, along with the slightly wider space between the nut and the first fret seem to make quite a difference in overall comfort.

Though I don't find the KTS-4's fretboard restrictively tight, I must say it is nice to have that extra millimeter or so.

Last edited:
Mine is serial #734, has a what appears to be a rosewood fretboard, and has friction tuners. I'm not sure what year it was made.

I just got a Kiwaya KS-1, 14 fret, serial #94 and the nut width measures 36.53mm. I notice this laminated wood soprano is larger in nearly every respect than the solid wood KTS-4. Hard to measure precisely, but the scale appears to be as much as 3/16th" longer. The wider nut, along with the slightly wider space between the nut and the first fret seem to make quite a difference in overall comfort.

Though I don't find the KTS-4's fretboard restrictively tight, I must say it is nice to have that extra millimeter or so.

How about the body depth on the KS-1? I've found their Eco Series sops to be deeper than standard Martin size, but not sure about the KTS-4.

How about the body depth on the KS-1? I've found their Eco Series sops to be deeper than standard Martin size, but not sure about the KTS-4.

The KS-1 has a depth at the lower bout of 2, 14/32" as compared to 2.25" on the KTS-4.

Scale:
KS-1 is 13.75 from the nut to the leading edge of the saddle (nut side)
KTS-4 is 13 5/8"

Width across the lower bouts:
KS-1= 6, 17/32"
KTS-4 = 6, 12/32"

Thanks for that. I guess they build the laminates slightly bigger, for a bigger sound. Fine with me! :)

Top Bottom