Graph Tech Ratio Tuners

I can't Reply with Quote to EDW, but I just ordered a set of Ratio tuners from Pohako Ukulele. They offer a nice selection of tuners - geared and direct.

Very honest description from the seller saying they look cheap. Manages expectations and minimizes returns I suppose.

They might look cheap, but they work very well.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I think they would look fine on many instruments, especially for folks who want an inexpensive light weight replacement for friction tuners on a stock instrument. On a higher end or custom instrument they would probably look a little low budget. I suppose one could consider- who is looking at the back of the headstock while you are playing?

Oh, I'm sure they do. It's just surprising to see a description that hasn't been spun by the marketing department. "futuristic, jet-black, space-age plastic! Textured for superior grip!"

I like that.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I got a set of these a couple of months ago, and installed them on a Cordoba tenor, The other day while playing, SNAP! My A string was flopping in the breeze. I thought my knot had failed, or the string broke, but nope...the Ratio tuner post had failed 1/2 way up. Glad I had glasses on, as that little piece of plastic went flying. My uke had Martin M620 strings, tuned to gCEA, so nothing out of the ordinary there. Anyway, I opened a ticket with Graphtech to let them know, and my dealer is sending me a replacement tuner. Despite this, I really like them, they work well, and look better than geared ears.

Ratio tuners.jpg

...the Ratio tuner post had failed 1/2 way up.

Wow, that's a surprise. Guess they're not as tough as I thought.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

I guess that most every product has a lemon here or there.

The real question is whether it's just a random, unpredictable failure or a design flaw? Being such a new product, it's going to take a while and a larger sample population before we know for sure. Personally, I would wait before committing...or at least install them on an instrument that's not a primary player.

I got a set of these a couple of months ago, and installed them on a Cordoba tenor, The other day while playing, SNAP! My A string was flopping in the breeze. I thought my knot had failed, or the string broke, but nope...the Ratio tuner post had failed 1/2 way up. Glad I had glasses on, as that little piece of plastic went flying. My uke had Martin M620 strings, tuned to gCEA, so nothing out of the ordinary there. Anyway, I opened a ticket with Graphtech to let them know, and my dealer is sending me a replacement tuner. Despite this, I really like them, they work well, and look better than geared ears.

View attachment 121802

I have a set of Graph Tech Ratio tuners on a Kala Elite and the one on the C string failed the first day! The gears inside can't hold while up to tension and spun down a whole step within a couple seconds. The dealer, HMS, had a whole bag of spares and replaced it that day. In all these decades of playing and dozens of instruments I've never than a tuner failure out the gate. Normally they last for decades. Next time I'm go for the Gotoh version.

Top Bottom