Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Graph Tech Ratio Tuners

I'm glad this thread came back up, especially with a complaint about the tuners because I played my Fluke today with the GraphTech tuners and they have been working perfectly, in fact, I haven't played it in a few weeks and it's in perfect tune. I certainly can't say that for the Gotohs that it came with.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 11-25-2019 at 06:16 AM.

I think I'll hold off on installing any more GraphTechs. Too bad. I have a set I haven't used yet, and I doubt that I will. I haven't had any problems with the GraphTechs I've installed but we've heard about three failures here, right? For a little more than twice the price, I can get Gotohs from HMS.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Did you mean Pegheds?

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I'm glad this thread came back up, especially with a complaint about the tuners because I played my Fluke today with the GraphTech tuners and they have been been working perfectly, in fact, I haven't played it in a few weeks and it's in perfect tune. I certainly can't say that for the Gotohs that it came with.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    Did you mean Pegheds?
    Nope, from what I see on the Magic Fluke web site, Flukes come with entry level Gotohs, PegHeads are an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    Nope, from what I see on the Magic Fluke web site, Flukes come with entry level Gotohs, PegHeads are an upgrade.
    Flukes - and I think the other ukuleles in their range - are fitted with Grover friction tuners, I believe. Model 2.
    ‘If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair.’ - Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I think I'll hold off on installing any more GraphTechs. Too bad. I have a set I haven't used yet, and I doubt that I will. I haven't had any problems with the GraphTechs I've installed but we've heard about three failures here, right? For a little more than twice the price, I can get Gotohs from HMS.
    Two things. First, I only see two failures listed here...I might be missing one in the thread. Second, Jerry...you have been the evangelist for this product...kind of surprising to see you back away!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by BigJackBrass View Post
    Flukes - and I think the other ukuleles in their range - are fitted with Grover friction tuners, I believe. Model 2.
    Oops, I meant Grover.

And I also saw only two failure posts.

I was puzzled by the way that tuner broke. The fracture occurred towards the upper part of the hole. The force from the pull of the strings is below the point at which the spindle broke. So why did it break? What force was being exerted on the top of the spindle/shaft?

It must be the way the shaft tapers towards the hole. It was the force from the tightly wound strings trying to creep down the taper (up the shaft) that forced the top of the post to pop off.

So, the top came off like a cork out of a bottle. Easy enough for the manufacturers to modify successfully in future production, but it could mean that all the current stock is flawed.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Two things. First, I only see two failures listed here...I might be missing one in the thread. Second, Jerry...you have been the evangelist for this product...kind of surprising to see you back away!
    Well, two broke, and another one doesn't hold the string tight. When was the last time you heard of a tuner failing? This is a new product, and with thousands of sets now in public use, problems will be revealed - and corrected, hopefully. Does the shaft have to be narrowed where the string attaches? Maybe not. Maintaining the thickness would make it stronger.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

crap I just bought some today. now thinking of not using it and just but the gotohs.
    atleast gotohs will last forever where this will maybe last a year or two.

Thread Information